Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: welding shop

believe it or not we were using a old lincon ac/dc tig machine i mean old and this thing is massive too, we had the heat cranked up to maximum on the unit but the metal was cool to the touch when we first started welding it. as it warmed up it took a bit better but heck as fast as it got warmed it cooled off. we never did figure out the problem plus the filler metal had blach spots in it too.

i would clean it up first, grab a fresh tungsten and give it a bit of a pre heat. no way to fix it when it dose that you gotta cut it out and start over.
    could also be you fould the tungsten. do you have good gas coverage ?? just go back to the basics and look for some thing simple. if its not plasma cut, the basics should get ya going again. fresh tung. , good clean work ( SS wire brush will clean off the anadized), good gas coverage, and enough heat. should have ya going.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

i thought bout preheating it some but my boss said i didnt need to he said it wouldnt have helped in this situation. but hes a dumb dumb ne how. ill gikve what u suggested a try.

if anyone is wasnting a great deal on a welder go through ioc on ebay they have brand new welders for a thousand dollers under list great deals

i got all my welding stuff from IOC. MIG, TIG, and plasma cutter came from them. as will my next purchase. great people to deal with befor and after the sale.
    i have heard runing the torch over the work at a lower amp befor welding it can help prep it also. might give that a try.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

i to have bought a few things from IOC but have not bought any welding machines or anything like that just safety gear But the prices are very reasonable, another good one is quimby corp, and weldfabulous.

Default hey fellows

well my first welding class went off without a hitch. But i did get burned right on the finger ignorance causes pain lol. But i started off stick welding today. Just welding stringers flat surface lines. My instructor said i was very good for my first time doing it, and he said he weas proud to see someone do so well the first time they ever picked up a stinger.

Default Well.......

Just keep up the good work.
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

thanks for wishing me luck

im currently learing smaw. using 7018 electrodes. What is the best way to get the nice ripple look that looks like dimes laid over each other. Im welding stringers right now on just flat plate. im holding the electrode at like a 45 degree angle is this to much angle, and im dragging it on the metal is this correct or do i need to hold it a little above the base metal.