Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: welding shop

yeah i work in a factory and the company wont provide the hand tools for the guys that weld, we dont do much stick welding at all in the weld shop the only guys that stick are the maintance guys when they are fixing steel racks, or dock plates. In the weld shop we do MIg and tig, but have to fab parts before we weld them, we do it all we cut the stuff, grind it shape it, weld it then send it to my beautiful friends dept(christy)(which has a huge crush on me even though shes married) for paint and powder coat.

and what sucks is we do repair work for people at the plant, like garden tools, or lawnmower parts, one night we welded a brush guard for the plant manager, and when we need tools we cant never find them ever, thats why i was just gonna get my own and keep them under lock and key.

Migman69

good for you. hope you can build your dream.

don't be discouraged by any of the negativity. some guys just can't stand seeing someone else succeed. I personally know someone in my town that owns a VERY profitable fab shop, and when he started, some of his guys knew more than him.

Just make sure you research your purchases yourself. Don't rely on your local sales rep. I had one try to sell me a machine that wouldn't work for my application. He seemed surprise.

Good luck

that didnt really answer my question but thanks for the advice

has anyone ever built a santa sleigh i was thinking about trying to build one one day?

migman69, what was the question? shop,tools, cute girl.........
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

it was about the basic hand tools needed for welding that i should put in my tool bag? the compnay i work at does not supply hand tools i have to provide all my own when i start welding there

Think back to the extra distracting trips you've made in the past for stuff you've needed. That's a good start.

Spare consumables.
    Extra helmet lens(s).
    Weldor's multi-tool.
    LOTS of markers; Soapstone, Sharpies, scribe etc.

ICE kit... In Case of Emergency. Sealed for protection; very visible and well marked. Let co-workers know what and where it is.
    Keep a list of medical information about prescriptions/medical conditions.
    Contact information for notification in case of emergency.
    Copies of insurance cards.

finally someone with some insight on the tools ill need

Default welding machine

does anyone have a good suggestion for a good multi process welder Im wanting to get one for the house so i can do light fab work and general repair work for people or myself such as mower decks, shovels, shelfs, and creation making stuff, all i have is standerd household power, 110v outlets, i had thought about buying a generator to run a welder off of but i would like to keep costs down for now till i find my self needing to upgrade. any tips or ideas and suggestions are appreciated.