Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: welding shop

Post shop equipment

I'm thankfull not to have been eating while reading joebass's reply. I was laughing so hard i would have choked.

Default migman

hey migman i just wanted to say good for you on wanting to start your own business,as i have been in business for over 14 years and thank god an extremely successful one at that ,i ll give you some free adviceif youll take it.#1 dont listen to some of the yahoos on here they will just discourage you and thats not a good start. first off try and get some training at a reputable welding school or if you think you are good enough try and do some of the weld tests to see if you can get your tickets, next instead of investing your money right away i would suggest getting a job with a welding company to learn some of the tricks of the trade ,and when you pick up all you think youll learn ,get in somewhere else and keep packing the knowledge and experience because no one can take that from you .try working at different shops to see how they do things and learn while getting paid.when you feel confident enough to go on your own and you have enough money and tools to give it an honest go.if i were you i would work somewhere and start doing side jobs as a start and build up some customers,that way when your ready to give it on your own ,you have a base of clients to start with, drop me a line if you need any help and geep your eye on your prize, youll get there, it doesnt happen overnight but just stay focused and youll get there .good luck to you

ManOfSteel has given some great advice... But remember your goal - running your own business. While soaking up as much knowledge about the technology, also pay attention to the way the businesses are run. Learn to recognize the boss's weaknesses so that you can avoid his mistakes. If they do something that works - business related - remember that too.

Listen to the gripes of the workers and do your best to see the management perspective. You'll be in a great position to see that some business decisions don't sit well with the workers but make sense to the business. Think about these things when you run your business and you'll understand how important communication and respect is between the employees and the boss.

Default Takes Time, but worth it

migman, just wanted to throw in a quick 2 cents. Learn the skills, get some knowledge, and some small amounts of equipment to get you by in the beginning. Throw out some "word of mouth" and some inexpensive advertisements. Jobs will come S L O W at first, then pick up. I started about 2 years ago and now my calls/jobs are a lot more frequent and seem to increase everyday. Also, have something else as your "money maker" job to keep you on your feet. Give yourself time to see if your business is going to work out for you. Don't let anyone tell you "you can't do that"! Because you can! Remember, you have to do the job right, care for your customers and if you don't know how to do something, find the person that does and ask them to help you. Good luck, man!

thanks i been getting a lot of good advice from everyone. i really appreciate it everyone you been so helpful

well i tned to prefer the more comfy gloves my self.

well i just got my new miller tool bag today and love it, so far i have the tool bag three pairs of miller welding gloves one for tig and one for mig/stick and one for just metalworking, I have a sellstrom dp4 face shield on the way, oh yeah a jackson journeyman eqc helmet, if anybody can think of or suggest anything else besides the jacket let me know please, any tools (for a tool bag), or anything i appreciate it.

if anyone has any ideas on what kind of hand tools i need to start off with please share your advice, if i start welding were i work now ill need all my own hand tools cause the dont provide crap except for welders consumables, sand blaster, bender, mill, and iron workers.

Exclamation

any one got ne ideas? please help is needed

Quote Originally Posted by migman69 View Post
    any one got ne ideas? please help is needed
    Well what are the guys that weld at your shop using for tools? They would be a good place to start for advice, chances are they'll quickly tell you about good and bad experiences with tools in the environment that you'll be using them. Besides they'd rather have you buy your own than borrow theirs!
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280