Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: welding shop

Default ok supplies for welding school

I was wanting tips and suggestions on what i need to get for welding school i need to supply all my own safety gear, i have a welding hooh jackson journeyman eqs fixed shade 10. I was needing advice on safety shield clear vs green whats the best what do u need for protection while plasma cutting or torching stuff. i dont want to buy a bunch of grab i dont need. i have some miller tig gloves on order right now, im going to order some miller mig gloves and some mig/stick gloves. too And for my jacket im thinking about a tillman black onyx all leather. But i dont know if i should go with all leather or the half and half any suggextion would be helpful

The Tillman Black Onyx stuff is really nice, buy it if you like. I am not one for jackets, they are not made for guys my size, and I always get bound up in the shoulders. I always wear Carharts, and I use Leather cape sleeves. I also have a 34" leather bib that snaps onto the bottom of the cape sleeves, so I don't cook sensitive areas when I am sitting down & welding or grinding overhead.

As for the face shield....I use a Sellstrom DP-4 shield that has a very firm, and close fitting clear shield that tucks nicely under your chin. The feature that I really like is that the DP-4 has a flip down shade 3 cutting/grinding shield that comes in really handy. I use it all the time for Oxy/Acetylene cutting & heating, Plasma Cutting, and heating with Propane Tiger Torch. It works out very well that I can tilt my head & look "underneath" the cutting shield when I need to without having to raise the shield. Shaded lens is dark enough that I can use it all day long without having any "sun spots"

All this type of equipment is very wearer specific. You will have to try it on for yourself to see what is a good fit for you. I can only say what has proven to do a good job for me.

Hope it helps.

Default cool

well that is certinaly a slick looking face shield, and it definitely would be handier than having to have 2 different shields in your tool bag. Any body with any other suggestions i would appreciate it.

Default re what kind of equipment

if you look at any cataloge for welding equipment,millers for example it lists the parameters that the equipment will operate within,from welders to plasma to whatever,and you can weld 1 inch in a single pass but im not going to tell you how , i want you to look it up and tell me how,( im in business now for 14 years and if you want to run your own show you better learn quickly how to do everything and anything and that includes research and even cleaning the toilet in the shop, good luck and waiting for your answer

well i know for a fact that laser welding will weld 1 inch and thicker. but i assume with enough heat and proper preperation you can weld 1 inch thick.

and im pretty sure you would use a butt welding technique

Default migman

glad to see you looked it up migman,submerged arc also will do single pass seams over 1 inch ,keep looking things up as the questions are raised and youll be ready for anything,knowledge is power. as for the certification you asked about, get it , it gives you the credibility you want and is recognized by the industry that you have completed the minimum requirements they need,plus your potential customers will know you mean business take care and good luck

thanks your for wishing me good luck. Im starting to learn reasearch is everything, and practice makes perfect. I will always try to make my next bead the best and better than the one before. i WANT TO BE succesful, im not looking to be rich but i want to come out ahead.

im looking for some ideas once i learn how to weld i would like to build my self a kick butt workbench any pics or ideas would be usefull

great advice here! Only thing I can chime in with, is I bought a pair of $18 gloves when I started my tech school. Melted/burned or grinded the fingers as fast as the $4.00 pair of gloves. Expensive ones feel more comfy, they have extra liners in them. But with gloves, I still abuse them, whether from heat, cuts get grease/dirt on them or whatever, I wait for a tent sale and buy 10 pairs for $4/each. Now they last me a year...
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time