Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: welding shop

Quote Originally Posted by joebass View Post
    Go get a Clarke 110 volt welder from Tractor supply, weld all the 1" plate you want with it. For a saw just use a hack saw. This should get you started in your business. Be sure to plug in the welder with 100' of 16 gage cord, You'll get plenty of penetration.
    Although you may be trying to be humerous, I wouldn't say that it is coming across that way. (Try smilies next time ) Regardless, Migman asked a question, and it was answered by others with a little bit of positive reinforcment. There is a right time and a right place for sarcasm and I don't think this is one of them.

Just how I saw it.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Maybe, maybe not. This guys got no business starting a welding business if he has to ask questions like that.

Easy..Easy everyone

He asked a legit question. He may not know it all, thats why he asked. Thats what this site is all about. Heck - if I knew it all I probably wouldnt be posting this, instead I would be telling everyone how smart I am....

Never knew anyone that was a master of their trade the first day on the job....

Default Ehhhh.

Ehhhhh, Errrrrrrrr, Ahhhhhhhh.You say you weld a lot of 1". What have you been using for that? Perhaps that's what you need

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Exclamation ok settling the score

Ok Im not a welder ok I will be attending school for welding shortly and workng towards my aws certification as well as my state and local certs. I will be opening up a welding and fab shop with a guy that has been in this arena for 10 years. Im trying to gain knowledge thats why i asked questions. But i know more than likely i may have to weld something thicker than 1 inch, dont criticise me for being ignorant. If you dont know something the only way to find out is to ask right.

Default so thats my story

i start welding school this spring

Default Welding Shop

Migman, don't be discouraged, I have had many questions in the past and a few in the present that show my ignorance to welding. I work in a aircraft overhaul shop with guys that weld everything from Magnesium, aluminum to stainless steel.

Believe me, this place is the right one for the questions. There are a lot of people out there willing to help, you were right, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Enjoy the new class. When I was in school, I took a small Ag welding class because I wanted to learn to weld, not the Industrial Tech route that was more directed to casting then welding.

migman69, I think you will be able to answer your own questions about what you need after you have been in school for a while. I know what you were trying to say in your original question. You need a good general purpose welder that can handle some fairly heavy stuff if needed. Is the shop going to do fab work with all new material or take in old rusty crud to patch? See, that's why it's hard to say you need "Welder model XYZ". Hang around this and some of the other welding forums (Miller has another one.... link is at the top of the page) and soak up some good info. Don't hesitate to ask questions. We all started somewhere and asking questions can sometimes save you a mistake or two along the way. BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Jim

turbo38t Guest

Sorry, but the way you asked the question raised a flag. If your partner has all the experience let him make the equipment decision and learn from him . It sounded kinda like me going into the racecar business fulltime and asking the forum "how do I weld Chrome-moly? You know? Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by migman69 View Post
    i start welding school this spring

Default ok

well we will be doing fab from new metal and repair of rusted junk if needed. I have a great idea in my head, I hope i can eventually turn it into reality. Id love to own my own business one day or at least half of one. But my dad doesn't seem to think The business will last more than a month. I don't think he knows much about the industry. But he has owned his own business for 30 some years and is now retired. He said that with the way the economy is right now going into business for yourself is a recipe for disaster. I don't really think so because stuff needs to be welded no matter what. Any ideas on how to get up and running and any trade secrets to be succesful, any help is much appreciated.