Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: welding shop

Default welding shop

hi my name is tyler im thinking about starting up my own welding and fab shop. what miller products would you all recommend to handle any type of metal and thickness some stuff i weld is over a inch thick.

Smile

hey tyler good for you. what your after is a multiprocess welder. then you have to ask your self if you want to be mobile. A multiprocess welder is like a bunch of different welding machines in one. you said you want to weld all metals up to an inch thick, it's a good thing you never said "and super fast" or I would of fallen off my chair lol. different metals and metal thicknesses require different welding processes(machines). Process speed, material thickness and quality of welds has alot to do with what process you use. a multiprocess welder has all these machines in one unit. research research research ................................................ho pe this has helped.
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Default thanks

thanks is it possible to be able to weld stuff thicker than a inch?

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by migman69 View Post
    thanks is it possible to be able to weld stuff thicker than a inch?
    No. That is why battleships are bolted together. Just kidding!!!!!

You can weld any thickness of metal if you have enough heat, enough depostion of the filler and enough time. Good luck!
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

so in other words any thickness can be welded but with multiple passes

I'm not intending to be rude or disrespectful, but in light of the posts of yours that I have read, and the questions that you have asked...... Are you SURE that you are of sufficient experience, knowledge & skill in regards to the welding trade to be entertaining the thought of opening up a shop????

The questions you have asked lead me to believe that you are not ready. Don't be discouraged, I just think you might want to rethink this career move right now. Hate to see a guy try & fail because he's not ready.

Default Listen to Jason!

I haven't been on here much lately and have not read some of your other posts like Jason (Black Wolf) has but I would have to agree with him after reading this post. If you need to be asking what type of equipment you will be needing to do the jobs at hand, I too think you may need to gain a little more knowledge and experience in the sport we play.

You should already have a game plan and know what your abilities and limitations are and you and only you can decide what you truly need for what you can do. Like Jason, I'm not looking to burst your bubble or imply that you don't know what you are doing, I just doesn't seem as if you are ready to branch out on your own yet. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

This is a candidate for a new HH210 and a Maxstar 150.

Talking

........................................and the crowd goes wild!

join the crew and break on through with the BLUE.....................................
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Go get a Clarke 110 volt welder from Tractor supply, weld all the 1" plate you want with it. For a saw just use a hack saw. This should get you started in your business. Be sure to plug in the welder with 100' of 16 gage cord, You'll get plenty of penetration.