Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Written Welding Test

Hay, I'm in skills USA down here in Georgia. i got a test written tomorrow to see who out of my region gets to go to the state level and actually weld, which don't make no since but whatever I just want to win. My question is what exactly is on a welding test the processes and stick, mig, tig, O/A, and blueprint. What can I expect and my biggest question what are written test like the unions use and other contractors?
    thanks

Cool

I took a 3 hour one written by the company i work for...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Written Weld Tests

Written Tests for welding?
    I never did understand that one...

All the ones I have seen lately are heavy on welding symbols & safety.
    Make sure you know your fire extinguishers, how to strip down or setup OA (by the book how 2 step by step). Difference in CV CC machines and the Volt amp curve diagrams. What are low Hydrogen electrodes and there flux designators. know your welding (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 1 rolled) positions. The different types of welds (there are only 3 some places 4 - they are fillet, groove & plug) How to store low hi, temps, F4 designation, etc. What is a F3 electrode. GMAW transfer methods ie. globular.

Good Luck
    Bobcat 225
    The rest is bright RED "Tig & GMAW"
    Just got a new Hypertherm 30

We won region 7 in Georgia today. I was sick as a dog but I have to keep on keeping on. We'll be going to state competition in 2 weeks, i hear there test is extremely hard, but I'll study and pray, thats about all you can do.
    Angus
    P.S. the test had alot on rigging and safety but not to much on actual welding. Where can i go to study rigging and the like?

what were the rigging questions like? i'm thinking depending on the questions the best place is usually field experiance.
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Out here in California the Iron workers and Pipe fitters get really heavy into rigging. Center of balance, knots, where the weight is on different equipment. That's what I've been told and observed, I'm a sheet metal worker and during my apprenticeship, rigging was very brief.

Quote Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
    Out here in California the Iron workers and Pipe fitters get really heavy into rigging. Center of balance, knots, where the weight is on different equipment.
    also hand signals.
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Quote Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
    Out here in California the Iron workers and Pipe fitters get really heavy into rigging. Center of balance, knots, where the weight is on different equipment. That's what I've been told and observed, I'm a sheet metal worker and during my apprenticeship, rigging was very brief.
    It's the same across north America lots of rigging, safety and material handling.

Yea there was a bunch of questions about the rating of latters, and also eye bolts, chain falls, and pulleys and all