Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default What to include in welders cart

I am new to welding and just got a red box 5000 HD as a starter. I want to make a cart for it and will probably do some plans up at school tomorrow on CAD. Any suggestions as to what i should include on the cart, such as space for certain tools... or any cool things that you guys did that worked out good? Let me know your ideas.

Thanks so much in advance!!!

A couple of items I find I am always looking for:

Welpers
    Clamps
    Marking Pens / Silverstreak
    Square
    Nozzle Dip
    Extension cable (I run a heavy duty 220 V)

Cutters for wire
    Wrenches/nut drivers for changing polarity or switching wire spools
    Metal thickness gauge
    Wire brush
    Pam spray for nozel
    Spare tips
    Soapstone
    Wire rolls
    Spare gloves

Nice to have a place to hang your jacket and helmet, too.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are welpers??? I have come across that term a couple of times now but since i am new to welding, it is a learning process.
    Thanks in advance for your replys and thanx for all the help, and advice.

This is a link to a picture of welpers:

http://www.airgas.com/browse/product...3&WT.svl=12293
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

Default Something I WOULD NOT want on a cart

One item that no one mentioned, that has come up before is a fold-out shelf to lay things on. BAD PLAN!! If you do make one, the day will come when you just need to touch up something with the grinder. No matter how dedicated we try to be, that "just a quick touch-up" will occur. You do not want that grinding dust in or near your welder.

Best of luck with the project.

Jerry in Anchorage

Sammy, everyone is different man. What I think would be important may not be what the next guy thinks should be there. The best advice I can give, would be to make a snatch folder on your desktop. Then you can build sub folders within that folder labeled to different projects. Every time you see something cool you can (save as) to the folder of choice, and its super easy to find all the cool pics you have saved. That way when you want to look for good ideas, they aren't far away.

When I first started I just had to have a cart right now, so I built one. Don't get me wrong, the cart got out of control fast with all the stuff I thought I needed. It was not a total loss since it gave me good practice.

Look and look and look some more, there is many years of thought on this site. With that much experience there is some really great ideas.

Myself, I keep 3 lids on my cart. Two hang on the front are both auto-dark and a fixed shade #3 for the plasma sits on top of the welder. Other then that I have a couple plastic bins, since I didn't have material at the time. I also keep my 220 cords on my cart.

All the other stuff is in a neat little cart I got on sale at HF.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tom37; 02-23-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: An after thought

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )