Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

didn't know about changes. we are pretty slow here. last i heard around 2000 on bench. supposed to break in spring, lotta school work. i'm going to the school next week to get some pointers. it's a little pita to get there, about an hour drive each way. it's a great facility though, and the instructors are a lot more helpful than before. i've been practicing in my garage. made up a 6g jig, and i've got a bunch of sch. 40 cut offs for coupons.

Yeah I just got out of mytime in september and they instituted the changes at the start of my 5th year. as far as i know they are UA wide, but it could just be a local thing. Our school just opened 4 days a week for like 7 hours a day for the guys like myself on the bench to get some solid hood time in. Hopefully we can get certs. least our certified guys aren't sitting too long. I know a few guys are talking bout heading out your way to try and get hooked up out to that canada job. I wish i had gear at my house to practice with, but alas no such luck, lucky for you though. I would love to get a nice used machine though.
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Default Over Penetrating!

Looks like you've got way too much penetration on your root. It makes it look like burn thru and would be a failure in my circles. Close your root gap down to 1/16 - 3/32. Are you running the 6010 uphill? If that's the requirement for your cert, so be it. But I'd run it downhill! For consistenct on your 7018 definitely weave, passing smoothly across the center of your weave and pausing at the edges (I usually count in my head, 1,2,3 or 1,2,3,4 depending on how much fill is needed) Doing this, and pausing consistently for a given count will eliminate any undercutting and give a nice weld profile. Also for 3/32 7018 it sounds like you are running too hot. What you are looking for is the flux to peel back on it's own when the pass starts to cool. When this "shell" peels back and knocks off with a tap of the brush rather than heavy power brushing the heat is right on. On my TB 302 this sweet spot is at 73 amps for 3/32" ESAB 7018. Yours may be different, but try some different heat settings to find that optimum spot.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Uphill is the reqiurement for the root pass. I could prolly try to cut the gap and run it downhill, but i think now it would get me looked out. some of the atrs/cwis are really picky now. we do use lincoln fleetweld 5p+ on the 6010. the root is tricky because i find if i speed it up, and dont do a little "push in"when i come back into the keyhole i have a b!tch of a time breaking both walls enough. when i run the 70 well, like the second set of pics i do get a nice peel back with the slag. just a light tap with the edge of a file and it pops of. In the past I've used the Lincoln Exalibur 7018 rod in the field and i like the way that runs a lot better then the low end lincoln rod jetweld lh70 that the school offers and has us use.

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood

Excaliber is good rod , I use it for my 7018 at the house. Try some Esab Atom Arc 7018 if you get a chance; It's pretty good also.

Quote Originally Posted by davinci2010 View Post
    Excaliber is good rod , I use it for my 7018 at the house. Try some Esab Atom Arc 7018 if you get a chance; It's pretty good also.
    I'll look into it thanks!

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood