Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Any Ideas for a spare tire rack for Rees hitch receiver

Looking for plans for a receiver hitch type spare tire rack for a jeep looking for ideas or plans fancy or basic

Thanks in advance
    CH!

Default Try 2" 11g and 14g tube

Your receiver tube should be 11g and your upright could be 11g or 14g. Try to use 3 lugs rather than the traditional 2. The tire will wobble and 1 of the lug holes may enlarge if you use 2 lug bolts. I have seen swing down spare tire carriers for rear bumpers on travel trailers, but think they would rattle. I have Wrangler and seldom open the tailgate. If you have a hardtop jeep you may be able to make the spare low enough to open the glass.
    Ornamental fabrication shop worker
    at home...
    2011 Hobart Handler 210MVP
    2013 spoolrunner 100 spool gun

Quote Originally Posted by deafman View Post
    Your receiver tube should be 11g and your upright could be 11g or 14g. Try to use 3 lugs rather than the traditional 2. The tire will wobble and 1 of the lug holes may enlarge if you use 2 lug bolts. I have seen swing down spare tire carriers for rear bumpers on travel trailers, but think they would rattle. I have Wrangler and seldom open the tailgate. If you have a hardtop jeep you may be able to make the spare low enough to open the glass.
    Thanks for replying,

I think I have a design that will work out real well the jeep is a soft top CJ the tire will stick above the tail gate, it a 35 only thing is I have to make sure it is secure and lockable But yet it will be simple and easily removable for gate access, the receiver is 2" ID receiver tub is out of 2" OD and 3/16 thick fits really snug in the receiver so it should have very minimal movement

I will post picís after I finish it and see what people think

Oh and by the way Thanks for the tip on the lugs I was not aware that this could be a problem so I will use three although I do have a question for you, would it be best to use actual lug studs and lug nuts over standard bolts with self locking nuts and would it be best to just tack them in the back so they donít over time start to slip and spin donít want to weld them in permanent so if ever need replacing.

Thanks'
    CH!

Default Grade 5 fine thread bolts should work.

You can weld on Grade 5 bolts and try to use the standard lug nuts as they would help center the rim on the carrier. I have a steel spare tire rim in which a hole was obviously enlarged from bouncing around. On the backside the hole even had a lip that I had to file off. The steel studs would have really chewed up an aluminum rim.
    Ornamental fabrication shop worker
    at home...
    2011 Hobart Handler 210MVP
    2013 spoolrunner 100 spool gun

Quote Originally Posted by deafman View Post
    You can weld on Grade 5 bolts and try to use the standard lug nuts as they would help center the rim on the carrier. I have a steel spare tire rim in which a hole was obviously enlarged from bouncing around. On the backside the hole even had a lip that I had to file off. The steel studs would have really chewed up an aluminum rim.
    Howís this for the mounting plate and security plate
    The lugs will go on firs to secure the spare tire and then the plate with a lock for theft security.

The Black Plates you see on the bumper were made so that the Hilo jack wonít slip on the bumper if the ground area is uneven in the field being the bumper is round pipe and not a good non-slip surfs.

CH!
    Attached Images Attached Images

CH,

You need to crank up the heat. Those beads (3rd photo) are cold. Looks like they're just sitting on top of the base metal.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Yep They did just sit on top ended up just grinding them out an welded them up with my arc/Stick
    Last edited by CrazyHorse!; 02-22-2010 at 05:21 PM.