Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Latest Work - Custom Diff Covers

I've been building these for a while for my car community, but I just thought I'd throw up a pic of one that I just completed. Not totally finished yet, still needs holes drilled/tapped in the blocks on each side for load studs. Let me know what you think!

My eyes see weight.

You did such a nice job of joining the pieces with the MIG, you could have MIGged the whole piece.

Are those gussets really necessary?

What does this go on?

Thanks for sharing.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

Only weighs 5lbs surprisingly enough.

I wish those were MIG beads . I TIG those seams with a root and cap pass.

The gussets honestly probably aren't necessary especially considering that DOM is press fit into the flange. Those are 2 of the 3 mounting points for the entire differential and are threaded M14x1.5 when completed. The gussets may help but really I think they just make customers feel better.

This cover is for the 1995-99 AWD Eclipse/Talons. Above the ~600whp level they like to snap those two mounting posts off of the stock cast aluminum covers resulting in all sorts of bad things.
    --Andrew
    Frontline Fabrication

Thanks for the info.
    Looks good and looks like fun to make.
    I'd keep the gussets since you know that it works "as is".

Thanks for sharing the project.

Are these rally cars or street cars?
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

do you torque the flange down to a jig while welding and let it cool before unbolting ? just curious how you manage warping.

That's kind of how I felt about the gussets and thanks for the kind words. These are street cars and drag cars.

Yep, they're all jig welded.
    --Andrew
    Frontline Fabrication