In planning my railing project, I've been like a mental patient looking at every railing and fence I pass by, trying to get ideas. Here in Brooklyn the houses are very close together and I think that lends itself to having a lot of fences and railings. There are also a lot of old houses with authentic cast iron railings; really beautiful pieces.

While taste is subjective, there has been a tremendous increase in SS fences, gates, storm/security doors which, in my opinion are just plain ugly. In fact, one of the deciding factors for doing this project myself was the one guy I brought in to look at the job only brought a SS sample. I never even asked him for a price...

So here in my rant is a question to you gentlemen that have a welding business and may actually build and install fences and railings. I am sourcing my material from King Metal. The design I have chosen is from their Design Concepts book. They have some amazing designs in the book and also stock a lot of interesting and unique pieces. Why don't I see these on 98-99% of the houses I see? Do you think it's a lack of interest on the homeowners part or do you think it's a production issue from the builder's standpoint? Is the welder offering these options or is he just offering the cheapest product that can be put together faster? I have to believe there would be a niche market here, especially with the double-latte set gentrifying much of the 'hood. They would love the mix of art and utility.

Man, once I get something in my head...