Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Nice Job, How long did it take you to fit and fab this all together? How much weight does this add to the car? Nice Build--Keep the Pictures coming.

Thanks AKAUTOMATION It took about a week to fit and weld all the roll cage, afternoons and one weekend. Nobody made a kit for a Ford, besides the mustang, so I had to buy one for a Impala, and cut, chop, and add here and there to make it work. Im not sure yet how much weight it added, after I add the motor I will scale the car. That's a good question though, I will see how much the pipe weighs and let you know.

Hey man car looks good. I am from paducah also. I used to run a crate late, but now I am building a modified. When ever you get your car done if you need somebody to letter it for I might be able to help you out. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Welding View Post
    Thanks AKAUTOMATION It took about a week to fit and weld all the roll cage, afternoons and one weekend. Nobody made a kit for a Ford, besides the mustang, so I had to buy one for a Impala, and cut, chop, and add here and there to make it work. Im not sure yet how much weight it added, after I add the motor I will scale the car. That's a good question though, I will see how much the pipe weighs and let you know.
    They don't make roll cages for Fords, because they don't make race cars! I had to throw that one in.... Outstanding job! We have been wanting to visit your track sometime. We live about 45 minutes from Eldora... what a sweet track that is! Keep us posted with the progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hightower View Post
    For safety it is imperative that you use DOM tubing.

DOM stands for drawn over mandrel. It looks like it has a seam but it won't split like standard tubing.
    Most commercial stock car chassis and cages are built using REW and not DOM. Lefthander is a good example. A few sanctions, NHRA and SCCA or NASA require DOM in some instances but NASCAR and ASA don't. A properly designed and built REW cage will be perfectly safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Welding View Post
    Thanks AKAUTOMATION It took about a week to fit and weld all the roll cage, afternoons and one weekend. Nobody made a kit for a Ford, besides the mustang, so I had to buy one for a Impala, and cut, chop, and add here and there to make it work.
    This guy makes cages for Fords...

http://www.rollcagecomponents.com/kits1.htm

Jimmy does a great job at a great price.

On edit..

I just looked at your pics. Butt welding two pieces of tubing to make a longer piece is not considered a good practice for cage and chassis construction. Most national sanctions won't pass it particularly for a driver door bar. It's also a good practice to line up the verticals on the door bars.
    Last edited by Vegas Racer; 03-06-2010 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmetalwerks View Post
    Hey man car looks good. I am from paducah also. I used to run a crate late, but now I am building a modified. When ever you get your car done if you need somebody to letter it for I might be able to help you out. Good luck.
    Thanks dc, I might take yopu up on the lettering once I get done. Good luck with the modified.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickochet55 View Post
    They don't make roll cages for Fords, because they don't make race cars! I had to throw that one in.... Outstanding job! We have been wanting to visit your track sometime. We live about 45 minutes from Eldora... what a sweet track that is! Keep us posted with the progress!
    Well you definatly dont see many fords out there thats for sure. If you guys ever get a chance come on down, its a pretty fun track to run at. I know it wont compare to Eldora but its a pretty good track. I'll be posting some pics soon, only a few weeks till season starts.

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    What class are you running and where you from? Heres a pic of our car a few years ago...love the dirt tracks
    did you run that car in beatrice, Ne?

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Racer View Post
    This guy makes cages for Fords...

http://www.rollcagecomponents.com/kits1.htm

Jimmy does a great job at a great price.

On edit..

I just looked at your pics. Butt welding two pieces of tubing to make a longer piece is not considered a good practice for cage and chassis construction. Most national sanctions won't pass it particularly for a driver door bar. It's also a good practice to line up the verticals on the door bars.
    Im sure your right about extending the door bar pieces, short of buying a pipe bender or bridging a 1" gap, I had to make it work. That makes me wonder all these companies out here selling these pre fabed roll cages, I wonder which welding procedure or test would qualify you for 1 3/4" tubing. I butt welded mine with an open root. Chill ring would have been the way to go though. Your roll cage is only as good as the person welding it.