Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dirt track build

Started on this two months ago, I'll have to find my before pictures. Some pics are classified. More to come as I progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This was an ex police car. In the end Im going for the look of a Nascar style car. Since nobody makes roll cages for a Ford I had to buy one for a Impala and make a few mods.

I have a dummy block and trans in these pics, I moved the motor back so the #1 plug is almost in line with the balljoint. The rules state that it can be in line, so I stopped just a little short just to be safe. The only problem is I have to rebuild my firewall.

Thumbs up Lookin' good

What class are you running and where you from? Heres a pic of our car a few years ago...love the dirt tracks

Nice car willy, I'd like to step up to one of those one day. Im going to run street stock. Im in Paducah Ky. Dale Jr, Stewart, And Schrader own a track here in town. Some people say dirt is for farmers, hard to beat sliding sideways at about 70 or 80 though.

Make sure to keep posting progress pics, I like the way this build is going!!!
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Cool

Nice job from a Ford man at heart...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

looks good. Is the tubing a speical kind for the roll cage?

MK The tubing is.095 (EWT) tubing or Electrically Welded Tubing. It is supposed to be stronger than just regular black pipe because the seam is welded. Im not sure about the exact weights but the roll cage tubing seems to weigh about half as much as say schedule 40 1 1/4" black pipe. It's probably twice as much though. I bought a kit that included everything around the drivers seat, door bars, A post, B post, and Halo. The door bars came pre-bent and notched already, all I had to do was weld them up. I would like to get a tubing bender some day and try to do all that bending, that looks like an art in itself.

Default Proper Tubing

For safety it is imperative that you use DOM tubing.

DOM stands for drawn over mandrel. It looks like it has a seam but it won't split like standard tubing.

DO NOT use black pipe
    DO NOT use standard tubing

Trust me, you will appreciate this advice after the first crash. As a 20 year veteran of the sport I have seen the BAD results of using the wrong material.

FYI:
    Here is a good little machine by Miller for the task:
    http://www.welders360.com/brand/lmil...40-mig-welder/
    Scott