Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Easy Build Press & Mobile....

Hey guys,
    Here's an easy build press I made with leftover cutoffs from work. The frame is 2 1/2"sq. X 5/16"wall, beveled joints w/root & cover pass with .035/70S-6. I made it bench size & mobile table to move around the shop. Been quite handy. The push rods are 3/4"Gr10 X 12"L w/heads welded on to fit push plates. I have several different pushrods with modifications as to application.

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Denny,
    What are the dimensions for the pieces. A buddy of mine is an auto mechanic and I showed him your post and he wants me to build one for him in the near future. What is the capacity of your bottle jack? He is thinking of using a 25 t bottle jack. one more question, why is the top of the press set at an inward angle?
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

Hey Damage,
    The side pieces are 18"(lower), 15"(upper), & the top piece is 16 1/2". The 3" "C" channel pieces are 20". The overall height is 35.5". I have an 8T in it for most of the small bending projects I do & have a 10T & 12T(low profile) that I can interchange. The plate on the bottom of the jack has a 3/4" thread nut welded to it so I can simply change rods & the Gr10 bolts have the hex head turned in the lathe to round. Other rods have special heads welded for various applications as shown in the pic.

Ok, the reason for the angled upper pieces is simply because that's all the material I had leftover from a job at work to make it & I had to put the top piece on the top instead of the inside because I needed that height to configure the press jigs I use. If you have enough material, I would suggest the top piece on the inside & you can make the sides with single lengths to whatever length you need, thus making it an "O" press. It is an easy press to make & I have bent 1" solid round rod with it without issue. If you make one, post it & your results with it. Good luck.

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images

awesome thanks.. will keep you posted on the progress..
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood