Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

personally, I really don't care to see something that is feasible only from donations,,,, I would rather see a design that will work, and is economically feasible, and possible to duplicate, whether or not "donations" are available.

Sounds like the OP has a valid need, we as a group should be finding ways to make it happen. Anybody can do it, spending thousands and millions, are there not cheaper ways, just as good???????
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Hi Everyone!

And Thank you for your thoughts and comments!

I was pleasantly surprised to see the amount of responses to my thread and I appreciate all the comments and suggestions!

First off, we are actually going to construct 2- sets of ramps. One is semi-permenent, Outdoor and the other will be portable.

The second thing is that the semi-permanent cannot use a lift for two reasons. 1) No electrical power at current facility and, 2) There is a "walk along" area adjacent to the loading ramp where one of the instructors / facilitators need to be guiding as the people start the ride and as they come off ending the ride.

Also, I forgot to mention that this program has recently received certification from NARHA and I am so glad that Broccoli1 posted the info. I spoke with our administrator and leaders of the program last night and they were awaiting the information you posted the link to! THANK YOU!!!

Going back to the first, semi-permanent ramp. My design considerations are to make it somewhat modular so that we can move this easily as our locations change. We currently do have a site where we are working but the area needs some additional leveling and maintenance so that we can make a better and safer area and hopefully show positive improvements to gain additional grants when we have influential visitors!

I will be donating all my personal time, labor and equipment to get the project going. I am also looking to contact our local FFA to see if there are any students who are in need of their civic service duties to graduate and get them involved with the project.

I have a good amount of materials to start with but by no means anywhere near 1/2 of what is needed to get this going. I'm hoping that some of my suppliers are willing to help out with some scraps or overruns to assist and whatever else we can get to make it happen.

I appreciate your generousity and thoughts and will try to provide more details of the program for those of you interested.

Thank you!

Here is a site that may give you some ideas on how to build a modular ramp.
    http://www.wheelchairramp.org/

Check out the section under the link to "The Manual".

Edit: I know this uses wood but the ideas should transfer.

Jay
    Last edited by bluejay; 02-19-2010 at 09:03 PM.

jsfab, you may have missed the word "monetary" in my previous post.
    having been involved in a fair share of charity projects, money was always a necessity. whether it was for a case of water for the volunteers or, a hard to come by item. i"m just trying to help in a positive way. personally i do care.

dave.
    IBEW electrican 26 yrs

As far as portability -- Mount two trailer wheels/tires at one end & a hitch set up to connect to a three point hitch on a tractor at the other. Almost all horse places have a tractor or something. Even if they dont have a three point set up you could make a hitch set up that would hook to the front bucket on something (tractor, skid steer, etc.). As simple as a trailer type hitch on the ramp & then put a hole in the bucket to accept a trailer ball.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Bluejay,

Thanks for the link! There is a lot of good info there!

MMW,

Our situation is unique as the location is remote and does not have a tractor on site. Any access will be with truck so normal hitch hook-ups would be needed. We would even use a pintle hook hitch and I was thinking along a similar line like you mentioned. THanks!