Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Rails

Default Hand Rails

I tackled my first handrail job just before Thanksgiving last year. I wish I would have taken more pictures, but this is all I have. I learned a ton and I can't wait till my next set.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

That looks really nice - good job!

Nice work, I really like the beefy look and the large head bolts or lags which ever they may be.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

looks really sturdy

Great Work! I agree about the fasteners, good job with the scale.
    Rick

Trying to succeed, Learning by failing
    HH210 (Merry Christmas to Me)
    HH 140
    Hyper Therm Powermax 600
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Forge
    Victor & Harris Oxy/Act
    HydMech 225 cold saw
    several grinders
    Rigid Chop Saw
    4x6 band saw
    Never enough clamps

Did you fab it all in place or make sections elsewhere & then install them on site?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Thanks, I made the pieces on the flats in my shop, and went ahead and pre-cut all my pieces going up the stairs and welded them in place. The home owner wanted to have a industrial look, so I used 10" channel to cover up the stair tread. The rest is 1 1/2" and 3/4" tubing. Can't wait to do another set.

Glad to see someone following current International Residential Code.

Just some food for thought, though. Not knocking your project at all, but here is a little bit of a pitfall.

A lot of localities take years and years to adopt the latest editions of IRC and IBC. The 2000 edition of IRC stated in R316.2 that railings "shall not be constructed with horizontal members or other ornamental pattern that results in a ladder effect."

Because that statement WAS in the building code, anyone that wants horizontal elements in a railing system provides me with a waiver before I cut metal. That way, when some retarded kid climbs over the edge, the lawyers have one more hurdle. A smart lawyer would point out the old code and argue that the design is still an attractive nuisance inherently dangerous to children.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

well said bagger.....no doubt

but that is some great looking work !

autocad
    bobcad
    bobnest
    surfcam
    fadal
    mazak
    trump
    bridgeport
    hem-saws vert. and horiz.
    cnc 8x14 plas-cutter
    wysong 10 ft shear
    wysong 8ft brake
    100 ton edwards ironworker
    precision 275
    synchro 250
    dynaflux
    hypertherm 1650
    spectrum 875
    spectrum 2050
    3 millermatics
    renegade 180
    cobramatic
    keystone studwelder

a pen
    and a nice chair

Good point bagger, I really need to get a copy of all the proper codes. I did contact the local building inspector and he told me as long as obeyed the 4" sphere rule I would be ok, vertical or horizontal. Thanks for the heads up though, good idea about the waiver.