Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ever design / build Wheelchair ramp for horse mounting?

My daughter got involved with a local group that does therapy for disabled and emotionally challenged children. (She was actually one of the first group of kids in the category for the pilot program and is moving up to Jr. Student Helper!)

The group has only been going a year and a half and they are moving along into the next phase of their growth and now need a special outdoor ramp constructed for allowing people in wheel chairs to ascend up to the level of the therapy horses and mount them to ride.

We have been looking at the A.D.A requirements and trying to figure out how to calculate a gentle slope angle so we can design and create a materials list that we will be using to gather donations for. The ramp will have to be in two levels with a short landing in between. I don't have any of the dimensions of height yet but have seen other examples. The examples typically have a rise from ground level to a small pad to turn 180* and rise to the next level where they can be assisted to mount onto a horse.

My thoughts are to build the entire ramps in aluminum, (since it will be outdoors and need to be semi-portable), and coat the decking with Herculiner truck bed coating, so that it will provide non-skid grip even in damp conditions. There will also be an accompanying hand rail system but that will be tubular and easy to construct as part of the ramps.

My question is: Has anyone ever done something like this and could provide me some dimensions and / or ideas and images?

Thank you in advance for you replies!

Have you considered a lift vs a ramp.

Lift would have certain advantages. More portable. Adjustable mounting height. Less space required.

Might want to look at what it would take to "modify" something like a jet ski lift to accomplish the objective. Also may want to take a look at the hydraulic lift tables sold by some of the major retailers for ideas.

A ramp up to "horse height" is not going to be very portable and it's going to take a lot of space.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

The ADA requirements have the Slope/Rise per ft already there for you.

Really it is just a matter of trying to construct the ramp system so it is Modular.

Here is one site to look at for ideas.

http://www.discountramps.com/modular_ramps.htm
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

SDIII, I was thinking the same thing myself, when I first read this. Building a ramp, even two ramps with a landing in between, would take quite a bit of aluminum. Unless you designed wheels into them, they wouldn't exactly be portable, either.

I did think that perhaps the noise of an electric/hydraulic lift would spook the horse, but any horses working with people like this should be able to take anything and everything. And then I think of the horse farm next door, those horses listen to me run heavy equipment, engine drive welders, air-carbon arcs, hammering, picking up and dropping stuff, etc. etc. All the clanging and banging doesn't even phase them anymore. They go to shows and exhibitions across the country, they tell me everybody else's horses jump and are startled by sudden loud noises, their horses don't even roll their eyes.

Personally, I would research a lift, it may actually be cheaper and easier to work with in the long run.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Here is a calculator for slope.....Note that an occupied w/c takes a different slope than an unoccupied one.

http://www.discountramps.com/ramp-calculator-wc.htm

Thumbs up

I can relate to this thread as I use a power wheelchair. Sundown is right on target. The use of a lift or modified lift would be your best route to take. A ramp would be bulky and not as portable as you might think and by using a lift of some sort you will not have to worry about the slope or rise.

Good luck,
    Wheelchair

Another advantage of a lift, you can vary the height, to fit the person's capabilities and the size of the horse.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Cheap and fast, find a straight up and down scissorlift manlift, remove the 4' slide-out portion on one end. Build down to ground level, something easy to get a wheelchair onto and enough room for helpers. Normally battery powered, use where ever, as long as you can recharge the batteries. Plenty of weight carrying capability, and stability, these were designed for 2 to 4 men, plus tools. And they are cheap now.

Just follow the ADA rules, as far as handrails and safety equipment. No doubt in my mind, there's a way to limit the total rise, obviously we don't want to end up 30' in the air.

Found this info also just googling around

http://www.narha.org/PDFfiles/RampPlans.pdf
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

i don't have any ideas.
    but do you have any info where material or monetary donations could be made?
    i may be able to help that way, as well as others.

dave.
    IBEW electrican 26 yrs