Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Small sheet metal brake project

took a look at a bunch of small brakes, problem was i wanted it to be able to bend thicker metal without buying a 1000lb 6ft long bohemouth so i played with some idea's in my head and this is what i came up with

here is the hinge detail there 3/8" thick flat bar the bolts are there to jig the assembly for welding they were later drilled to 1/2" and replaced with drill rod. they are also upside down,

here are the hinges situated on the base which is a hunk of 6" x 2" channel about 2" long.

Last edited by Garage guy chris; 02-16-2010 at 09:31 PM.
    Garage Guy Chris
    equipment:
    -Miller matic 210 w/ spoolgun
    -Syncrowave 180SD

now I added the folding bar thing this is cold rolled flat bar i think its 1/2" thick the cold rolled was used because the edge is nice and square and dimensionally accurate, while hot rolled is rounded and scalely.

the top clamp is a piece of 2 1/2" x 1 1/4 angle with a piece of 1 1/4x 1 1/4 angle welded on it for strength

heres a close up of the end detail:

this is it finished there are 2 NFF 1/2" bolts for the clamp. Now if you look above the coke can you can sorta see the back check which is there to keep the clamp from pushing back with heavier sheet metal in it.

thats what i ended up with, the metal in it is .065" sheet metal and it did it fairly easy, i think its limit is about .080" overall it works quite well, anyways i though i would share...

Garage Guy Chris
    equipment:
    -Miller matic 210 w/ spoolgun
    -Syncrowave 180SD

Looks like it will work really well. I'm going to have to start scrounging to make one of my own. Good job.
    Thanks

Nice job. It looks like it should serve you well.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )