Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Smile

You can BUY a full set of drawings to build that trailer plus about six to ten different trailers from Northern Tool/Hydralics for about $35.00. Takes all guesswork out of the project gives material list, axles to use and best of all an engineers's review of design stamp. I built a 40' 5th wheel hotshot trailer weighs 8000# and can haul 10,000#. PS. GO PENS

i started to put some ideas to paper. and for the record i did eye up a few trailers on ebay and a lot of them use 10 c channel frame for two car hauler set ups. when they are deck over designs most are I beam. correct me if im wrong (the crossmember thing was a fat finger at first on my part) but i like the idea of 16 center cross members works out even for the trailer.

i also read from a few ppl who like there axle just a fudge closer than 2/3. Because even though the thing is 32 ft long. a lot of the time it wont have two cars on it. whats your thoughts on a 20ft 12 ft split?I dont think loading it to have tounge weight will be an issue. Plus if i dove tail the last two feel I pry wont use it much.

like someone else said earlier. I want to build a strong trailer but I also dont want to over build it too both are not good or eff.

I think 4 what ur gonna do that should be fine but thats just me.

i have done a lot of welding but never took on a project of this size. a little nervous what to do. but there is a welding shop closing up near me and selling steel for .30 cents a pound! its hard to go wrong at that price. and a trailer is in my near future one way or another.

I found axles for just under 1K with shipping and hangers from
    http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayIS...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Building a trailer is pretty straightforward; we’ll talk you through it.

Here are some more options.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/

http://www.pj-parts.com/catalog-axle-assemblies_1.aspx

http://www.bigtextrailers.com/
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabefastcrf View Post

i started to put some ideas to paper. and for the record i did eye up a few trailers on ebay and a lot of them use 10 c channel frame for two car hauler set ups. when they are deck over designs most are I beam. correct me if im wrong (the crossmember thing was a fat finger at first on my part) but i like the idea of 16 center cross members works out even for the trailer.

i also read from a few ppl who like there axle just a fudge closer than 2/3. Because even though the thing is 32 ft long. a lot of the time it wont have two cars on it. whats your thoughts on a 20ft 12 ft split?I dont think loading it to have tounge weight will be an issue. Plus if i dove tail the last two feel I pry wont use it much.

like someone else said earlier. I want to build a strong trailer but I also dont want to over build it too both are not good or eff.
    Mine is 21/11 tows amazing.. Im telling you now, there are 14k lb rated 6" and 8" channel trailers on ebay that are selling, and apparantly not too many have wrecked... I think you can make what you have work.... FWIW, the little torque tube I added helped alot too... It has hauled 9800 lbs of steel, 9,000 lb trucks, a jeep and a silveado.... list goes on.

Last edited by Badd00SS; 02-18-2010 at 04:22 PM.
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

Interesting thread. I was wondering if some of you who mentioned torque tubes could elaborate a little more. I am assuming the tube helps elleviate some of the flex common with longer trailers. I would welcome any insight. Thanks for any info.