Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I would take a look at some engineered units and copy.

yes, exactly, why re-engineer the mousetrap?????
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Its just a habit for me to look at how everything is built, what the guy or trade next to me is doing and file it away for future use. I almost always look at a trailer with that kind of eye when I am standing next to one, if I see a bent bracket take a glance. When in doubt build one gage heavier, usually just a pinch over engineered designs.

When I first start doing this I didn't always look, I used my own thoughts. First couple trailers I built were so heavy they barely haul themselves. Now half the stuff is with tin snips and screw gun,,, ha

Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Didnt mean trailer work with tin snips.

ha ,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    Two 10 x 15.3# C channel 25-feet span are good for 7,100-pounds with 1.29-inch deflection!
    on a 32 foot deck he would not have a 25 foot span more like 21, and the load would be evenly distributed, only 1 cars weight plus a little of the second would be on it. Aside from the trailers weight. I would be more worried about twist with the 3 inch crossmembers.
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

Quote Originally Posted by Badd00SS View Post
    on a 32 foot deck he would not have a 25 foot span more like 21, and the load would be evenly distributed, only 1 cars weight plus a little of the second would be on it. Aside from the trailers weight. I would be more worried about twist with the 3 inch crossmembers.
    FYI, the numbers Im giving are static load, not dynamic!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on my experiences in my little bitty world.

I'm with the strawberry man on this. Take a look at some like it and see how they are done. Manufacturers literature might even give some clues as to the construction on their trailers. Look and learn.
    Jim