Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Motorsport Tig Welding Schools?

Are there any other motorsport tig welding schools other than Lincoln Motorsport? Do we have to go to the red side?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar1 View Post
    Are there any other motorsport tig welding schools other than Lincoln Motorsport? Do we have to go to the red side?

Thanks
    Not that I am aware of outside of some technical schools ( i.e. Hot Rod U ). The big issue I have with welding companies teaching classes, is that they are naturally biased to whatever technology they are selling. Remember, their classes are a form of advertising. Lincoln management likes to play this game of "teaching" and promoting themselves as the "welding experts". The problem is, as mentioned, they push THEIR technology, even if another technology is better for a given application, just because they sell it. They have been caught on several occasions giving out bad advise, or advise on a subject they have no experience or authority on. I for one applaud Miller for keeping it "professional" and not following the circus act of Lincoln at some trade shows.
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Darkstar1 -

I believe that you may be looking at this backwards. Excellent tig welding skills can get applied to motorsports, but very rarely do excellent tig welding skills come from the motorsports field.

I would concentrate on emproving your tig skills through practice and application. After your experience is gained, you will realize that motorsports tig welding is not anything special. Quality tig welding, however, is special.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GTA/SPEC View Post
    Darkstar1 - I would concentrate on emproving your tig skills through practice and application. After your experience is gained, you will realize that motorsports tig welding is not anything special. Quality tig welding, however, is special.
    Very well put.
    America, Clinging to our Guns and Religon since 1776.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerometalworker View Post
    Not that I am aware of outside of some technical schools ( i.e. Hot Rod U ). The big issue I have with welding companies teaching classes, is that they are naturally biased to whatever technology they are selling. Remember, their classes are a form of advertising. Lincoln management likes to play this game of "teaching" and promoting themselves as the "welding experts". The problem is, as mentioned, they push THEIR technology, even if another technology is better for a given application, just because they sell it. They have been caught on several occasions giving out bad advise, or advise on a subject they have no experience or authority on. I for one applaud Miller for keeping it "professional" and not following the circus act of Lincoln at some trade shows.
    Not in uti's "hot rod u" curriculum unless they changed it since I went there in 04.

Dont get me started on that waste, I mean place.
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)