Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Crazy, you said you were in a slump. The telephone sales game is always a crap shoot at the best of times.

Here's my thought for a slump breaker.

Claim you are having a blonde day! Tell him your rate is $100/hour or whatever you charge, but, you can't figure out whether it would be 1 hours or 2 hours. Tell him you're in the neighborhood and pop by to take a look and see if it's one that you've 'figured out' how to do it quickly. Look at the project, him and haw, stroke your beard and tell him a 'real' price. You will get 80-95% of those jobs, because your estimate is a 'real' estimate based on viewing the job.

I agree, hard to quote stuff you cant see over the phone.

Dang hard to quote over the phone. Once you throw out a ballpark price they wanna put you in a box. I like to give a high and a low for them to mull over.
    When and if they show up you have made them and you a gambler....they are betting on the low price and you are looking for ways to make more.
    It beats not having them show up eve,r but not by much.
    As for the phone book.....well I kind'a got lucky on that one. I get those calls when no one else does.
    Aluminum is the "middle" name in the title of my business. Therefore when they look in the yellow pages they go down the list....and I start with "o", and they see aluminum they always call me first out of about 20 some other shops. I am certain of this. I ask new customers every time how they got my name. Most say the phone book if it wasn't a referrral. I found this out by accident but if I every was to start a new biz I would make this a hard and fast rule.
    If you wanna weld mostly trailers then call yourself "Joe's Trailer welding" etc..
    My phone was basically dead last month, but I still took in as much or more than I would'a if I had been working a local job for wages doing unskilled labor.
    It is hard not to cave in and work too cheap when it is slow, but if you do then when it gets busy they will expect you to remain cheap. You are better off to charge more when it is slow (and I am doing just that when I can)
    Other shops are dying on the vine and who ever is left when the economy breaks will be the first guy to the bank!
    All that said, I am myself just about 30 days from broke. It's ok to pray for yourself you know

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

I absolutely will not give an estimate over the phone. No job, or potential job, is that important.

About the OP's pricing questions, you have to price yourself according to your capabilities and abilities, both your equipment and your skills. Also consider the type of work you want to get ....

Personally, in 20-something years of being in this business, I never worried or cared much what the competition was doing, I always based my price on what some of my suppliers were charging, both in-house and outside work. At least two of these suppliers, all the outside work is done by me, so THEIR price is based on my price. Don't have to be sneaky to find out, prices are posted right inside the door. Also, if any question, I just have to ask, straight out.
    Last edited by JSFAB; 02-16-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

I shot my mouth off over the phone a while back, didn't need to and the guy didn't bite. Its a job I had courted a bit but now he likely found it cheaper before he got the chance to see my genius in action,, hahaha

Berry, don't get mad, get even.

Case in point, last grape harvest had to redo the belt-drive on one side of a grape harvestor,,,, Did it in one day, had to improvise a bit, but it's all fine, harvestor was ready to go that night. Customer called me a few weeks ago, need to do the other side (same hours), I put him off for now .... so he had somebody else help him. Fine, except for the fact it cost him a $400 hydraulic motor, that was destroyed in the process. Believe me, if there is a problem with that side in the middle of harvest next season, and he calls me, the price goes up.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Berry, don't get mad, get even.

Case in point, last grape harvest had to redo the belt-drive on one side of a grape harvestor,,,, Did it in one day, had to improvise a bit, but it's all fine, harvestor was ready to go that night. Customer called me a few weeks ago, need to do the other side (same hours), I put him off for now .... so he had somebody else help him. Fine, except for the fact it cost him a $400 hydraulic motor, that was destroyed in the process. Believe me, if there is a problem with that side in the middle of harvest next season, and he calls me, the price goes up.
    Not to hijack the thread...
    I had a contractor call one time with some loose shoes on a big frontend loader.
    Didn't think a thing about it, drove to the sight (one hour each way) and got informed that he was only going to pay $20.00 a shoe to get them welded back on.
    I was their and into it for fuel (had to get that back) Hmmmm 3 loose shoes $60.00 bucks. Cleaned up the shoes, reached into the rod box pulled out the box of stainless steel, welded them back in. Harrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!
    Three weeks later, he shows up on the front porch yelling and screaming about it costing him $200.00 to get the shoes cut out (carbon arc) and another $200.00 to get new shoes welded on.
    1st question, Did the shoes come loose. Welllllll no.
    2nd question, How come you didn't call me. Welllllll, I let a buddy do it.
    Their's the street my friend.
    Moral of the story, more than one way to skin a cat, errrr rat.

Michael

That is a good one, worth remembering. I am not pizzed I didn't get the job, it was my own fault, I really didn't need to say anything, I had already said I couldn't quote it till I saw the thing and then it just kind of popped out of my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rogers View Post
    Not to hijack the thread...
    I had a contractor call one time with some loose shoes on a big frontend loader.
    Didn't think a thing about it, drove to the sight (one hour each way) and got informed that he was only going to pay $20.00 a shoe to get them welded back on.
    I was their and into it for fuel (had to get that back) Hmmmm 3 loose shoes $60.00 bucks. Cleaned up the shoes, reached into the rod box pulled out the box of stainless steel, welded them back in. Harrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!
    Three weeks later, he shows up on the front porch yelling and screaming about it costing him $200.00 to get the shoes cut out (carbon arc) and another $200.00 to get new shoes welded on.
    1st question, Did the shoes come loose. Welllllll no.
    2nd question, How come you didn't call me. Welllllll, I let a buddy do it.
    Their's the street my friend.
    Moral of the story, more than one way to skin a cat, errrr rat.

Michael
    I love it!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Well Guys I wanted to say Thank you to all of you who chimed in on this

I do the leg work as well as the phone work to try to keep work coming in
    It has been really hard in the last couple of years for me going through a lot of transitions
    With health and financial issues not to mention starting over.

Welding really is not something new to me but all have enlightened me as to how the welding industry has changed in the way people think and do business how they pick who they will hire for a job as well as how to decide on the type of jobs a welder will want to take on. And that I should stick to my price but it’s ok to bend within reason
    To keep the work coming, with out taking a job that would just be nothing more than free labor I mean I know I’m an ok guy and skilled enough to make any customer happy with my work and I always try to exceed their expectations, but I’m not so ok I can afford to give my skills/labor away for free. Well enough about that for now.

The good thing is I have had a few people call me today who have decided to accept my bids on work they were needing, “all in house work” which will make me some $$ hopefully it will help keep the mortgage company off my butt for a weeks or two I Hope!

So thanks Again Guys your input has been helpful.

CH!
    Last edited by CrazyHorse!; 02-17-2010 at 07:21 PM.