Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Bending Without a Brake....

Hey guys,
    Here's a project a customer brought to have new skid runners installed. He has several huge Belgium horses & said they weigh close to a ton(2000lb) & he pulls this skid with 1.5 ton of sand bags to keep them exercised. The skid weighs 700lb. I got an invite in the spring to go to his place to observe & meet his horses. The original skid runners were made with 1/8" material & he wanted the new ones to be 1/4" thick for a longer lifespan.

I don't have a brake & I use a method that I've used for 20yrs to bend quite easily. After setting the material in place, I mark the bends & cut a .200 deep slot in the material with my Sait cutoff disc. I put the material in place & gently bend to desired angle & tack. After all the bends are set, I weld the slots. I drilled the front & rear mounting tabs & anchored with 3"L lag bolts. There are (10) pics, so I'll need (2) posts to finish. Give me a couple xtra minutes to get them all on. Thanks..........

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's the 2nd group... Ask any questions you like.

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice i like it. Ive done that before. Keep um coming.

Very nice,you make it look so easy.

Default material

did you make these from mild steel?
    ever consider making from wear bar...
    Chad
    -----------
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitcase 12 RC
    S22P-12 Feeder
    HF-251-2
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Maxstar 200 DX