Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Bending & Scrollwork...

Hey guys,
    I posted a couple of the bending & scroll units I made & wanted to show some easy projects to do. These brackets were for a customer who had a fabulous patio with a stone base table with marble top. The top was 1" thick & had a 12" overhand on the radius & the customer needed some bracing to avoid breaking. I made angle braces with 24"L x 3/16"T X 1.5"W and milled a 1"L X 1/4" slot at the bottom for the stone mason to have a bit of manuevering room vertically. The scrolls were 1.5"W X 1/8"T. These would be attached by the mason to drill the holes in the stone & set in the bolt inserts as I don't do stone work or wanted the responsibility of cracking the stone. The top of the brackets would have a thick cushion adhesive used by masons to attach & provide a solid attachment. There are (5) as that was all that was needed for the radius with 2' spacing. I painted them flat black to match the customers' patio furniture.

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images

You do great work.

Using this type of jig. About how many times did you move your piece to make this nice of a bend? They look very consistent. My wife loves iron furniture, so I'm trying to think ahead and plan my attack. I want to make her a hall table and then maybe think about a bed frame and headboard.

Thanks Tom

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Hey Tom,
    The first piece I do to get the dia. of the bend usually takes 6-8 positioning moves to get the exact size I want. Once I have the correct dia., it only takes 3-4 moves per scroll to repeat the same size for the following pieces. Once you do a couple, it is quite easy.

Denny

Thanks Denny,

I appreciate the response greatly. In your opinion, for a hall table or even a headboard and bedside tables. Which would work better for ease of bending and also appearance? CR or HR? I am thinking that probably 1/2" square and smaller for the table. And the headboard with 2" or 3" tube for the side uprights and then maybe a little 3/4" and smaller for the decorations.

I haven't found many samples to look at yet, I want to keep it crisp and clean yet unique enough for someone to say WOW I've never seen any thing like that.

Tom

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )