Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A couple of old projects, Pics.

Just though I would post (finally) a couple of projects that I built last year in grade 11 metal work. The first one is a bike rack, which sucsesfully replaced the classic lean it against a post and hope it stays storage method. It is constructed out of 1*1*1/8 square tubing and welded mainly with 3/32 7018. I started it using the lincoln power mig 255 but coudn't get more than one bead in a row that didn't look like swiss cheese. (If it ain't blue, don't bother )
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

Couple more with the bikes in it.
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor

Talking Try not to laugh...

2nd project in grade 11, no lie, was a shoe wrack. But not just any shoe wrack, one that could survive the appocalypse and a sumo wrestler sitting on it. To achieve this I constructed it out of 1*1*1/8 square tubing and 1*1/8 flatbar. Since I was trying to make up for the abortion that was my previous attempt (now resting happily in the Baily landfill ) I decided to go all out and Tig er up. At this point I had mabye 2-3 hours on the Tig machine, and self taught. Red Precision tig 175 with 3/32 2% thoriated tungsten.
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor

And finally a few more close ups.

By the way, if anybody is interested in (rudimentary) plans, I thinks I still have them and wouldn't mind giving you a copy.
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor

Nice projects SR and nicewelds on the shoe rack,but Im wondering though... Do you think that the shoe rack is strong enough to support the weight of all the shoes it could hold??
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Shorerider16,

I'm with Signwave, projects look good. You have experience with SMAW, GMAW & GTAW. The GTAW closeups show a lot of promise for that short of a period on the machine. You appear to have a very good hand-eye co-ordination. A little more helmet time and attention to detail will make a world of difference. For the record, I wouldn't mind telling anyone those were MY welds, so good for you.

As for the GMAW issue with the PowerMig 255 - give me half an hour with you, I'll give you some setting on that machine that run like butter.

If it ain't BLUE, don't bother.... Nahhhhh..... If it isn't RED & BLACK, It has to go BACK!!!!!

Later,
    Jason

Post shoe rack

nice welds. expensive shoe rack. How much did it cost to make?
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Thanks guys! I'll try and get some pictures of some of my weld samples from my c-level course, but since I don't have a digi cam it may take a while.

Dustyhaze75: If I remember corectly ( ) the shoe rack cost about $70 in material, time on the other hand....
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor

Default hello

hey do u hav the plans on how to build that bike rack cause i would love to hav it for a school project thank u

Love seeing the young'ns welding up a storm.

I see welding as a key to independence. If you can weld then you can make what ever you can imagine up.

I've imagined up a lot.