Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Tig welding a aluminum motorcycle frame?

I am purchasing a 2001 gsxr 1000 , and it has 2 small hairline cracks in the frame near the steering stem area. I was going to have it welded or I might even try to weld it if I ever get my welding down to a art and am confident enough to weld it. I am just not sure what filler rod would be best on this type of frame. It is a suzuki motorcycle notorious for frame problems. Has anyone had experience in the area of welding this type of aluminum frame before? I have heard about people using 4043 and 5356 fillers but just not sure. Here are a couple pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

suzuki is not notorious for frame problems. most likely the bike was dropped hard from high again and again or even crashed. you may want to have a expert look at that before you part with cash.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecwik View Post
    suzuki is not notorious for frame problems. most likely the bike was dropped hard from high again and again or even crashed. you may want to have a expert look at that before you part with cash.
    I have to agree. One too many wheelies slamming down on the rear brake and break it did.

It should be a repairable condition since it was welded in the first place. I would not trust it to a novice welder.

I agree that it was probably dropped,A crack around the steering stem area is pretty dangerous,I would take it to a shop and have it assessed.Mike

Im not saying all suzuki frames are notorious for frame problems but certain models were. The 1986-90's gsxr 1100 frames were known to crack around the steering stem from coming down from wheelies to often. Also suzuki had a frame recall in 2005-2006 for there gsxr 1000 frames to replace frames that cracked and the ones that didnt crack already they designed a brace for dealers to put on. Also the 2001-2002 gsxr 1000 frame was redesigned. But its a 2000 dollar price tag to buy the redesigned frame.
    Last edited by waffenampt; 02-11-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Does anyone know if after welding is complete the factory does any type of heat treating on the Aluminum frame? Mike

Hey waffenampt,
    I will attempt to provide you some information & advice to, perhaps, save you some serious problems & maybe, your naive a$$ from physical destruction of your bodily parts. My response is to, hopefully, try to engage some "gray matter", if you have any, to really consider your endeavor into such a project.

To allow you an understanding of my qualifications to give you a response & opinion, I have owned/ridden motorcycles for 56yrs & welded as a profession for 47yrs. My opinions are based on experience, not on conjecture.

First: You post indicates you have no idea of the parameters that a motorcycle frame is designed & fabricated to meet the specifications of strength &, primarily, SAFETY! Since you know this motorcycle is damaged at the most critical point of stress & fabrication, that would certainly indicate abuse by the owner. Apparently, it means nothing to you.....probably because you think you're going to get a real good(cheap) price to own it. Your thought patterns are typical of the youngsters & newbies who "think" they know-it-all, yet fail to do some serious homework to understand the total forces engaged on a motorcycle frame. Those forces are generally applied over-excessively by you youngsters who have to test your mettle with speed & stupidity that eventually results in injury to yourselves and/or others.

Second: You post a query on the discussion forum regarding the differences between 4043 & 5356 weld filler.....DUUUUHHHHH! Pure evidence that you know nothing about welding & associated parameters to have a solid & secure weld that would meet the specifications the factories employ with their engineering, design, & construction of their motorcycle frames. You make a dumb statement that these frames were manufactured with defects......another DUUUHHHH! No factory in this world would risk this kind of liability. The you latest post that: "I'm not saying all Suzuki frames are notorious for frame problems but certain models were." Then you clarify the reason is because of the "wheelies too often".......DUUUHHHH!

I'm sure any experienced welder here or any other forum is going to give you advice or suggestions to do a repair that may entail a liability because of mis-information. You walk on extremely thin ice youngster.....if you fall thru, it's the result of your choice/decision..... so you have to live with the results of stupid choices.

Denny