Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

"Auto-CAD for Dummies" ???

No, I'm not laughing at anybody, I pay a guy to do it for me when needed, my eyes can't follow what he does, and how he does it, he does it that fast.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

[QUOTE=JSFAB;224880]"Auto-CAD for Dummies" ???QUOTE]

That was the term I was looking for! Maybe ol George should change the title of his book.

I was having a he!! of time, (Sort of like dividing a pipe into thirds!)
    catching on until I bought that book, then bang the lights came on!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Quote Originally Posted by wroughtnharv View Post
    If you only are going to cut some copes or saddles for one job or aren't interested in developing a real skill with it then I suggest calling a fried of mine in Plano Texas. There they sell notches. They take my Vogel dies and put them in their eighty ton punch press. They cut pieces of two inch (2 3/8" O.D.) one and a sixteenth long. They notch these pieces. Then all you have to do is subtract 1/2" from your measurement and weld in a notch.

Plano Power Equipment 972 423 5220
    How much are the notches?
    Thanks,
    Nick

Does he also sell bolt holes?????

Sorry, Harv. I have mucho respect for anything you post up, I just couldn't help it.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Donut holes cost, why wouldn’t bolt holes?
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

I don't ask and don't know about the pricing. He's a good friend and they manufacture some of the stuff I've designed. It's all on a handshake and I'm well compensated.

Funny story on the notches; They sell some now and then but never a big thing. Then awhile back they are wanting my notcher because they've sold everything they had and are needing a ton more made up. I found out who was buying them and why.

Sometimes unintended consequences will bite you pretty good in the butt when you least expect it. I came up with these for the do it yourselfer who wants to do his own stuff and doesn't have the skill or equipment. It was a good fill in product for my friend and I hoped it would help some guys out.

A contractor was using the notches and his crew to weld up a large outdoor facility. Evidently his crew of laborers could compete pricewise using the notches and minimum equipment.

I never got a call and probably couldn't have competed pricewise anyways.

Extremely informative and helpful harv. If PBS was to start a show on fences,they should consider you their first episode. Liked how you explained and added photos to show your work because I don't know about most guys, but I'll always respond better to a work photo. Thanks. Bob.

The reason I asked about the price of the notches is if they were reasonable it would be a substantial savings in labor on a big job.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    Donut holes cost, why wouldn’t bolt holes?
    Bolt holes do cost. Don't you figure the time it takes to drill them into your bids?
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    The reason I asked about the price of the notches is if they were reasonable it would be a substantial savings in labor on a big job.
    Nick
    I'm sure they're reasonably priced. The reason I say that is a contractor bought at least a thousand of them to use on a large job.

They're not what guys like myself would use because we can do it cheaper ourselves. But if you didn't have the three hundred dollars for a portaband or the fifteen hundred dollars for a Vogel and you weren't proficient with a torch then the notches work like hose in a water fight.