Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Here is a repair with the aluminum rod. Material is 7075 which is not supposed to be weldable. Customer moved hole locatons and I did not want to scrap. My first time using this rod. It seemed to concentrate the heat on the bottom of the hole and melted through into an interior passage which needed refinished. A heat sink of steel prevented further problems.repair.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rusk1y View Post
    I tried Oxy-Acetelyene Torch and Propane... How long does it have to get heated exactly? Nothing seems to get hot enough IMO. I can stand there and heat it for 5 minutes or longer in one spot to no effect.
    I'm not clear on what you used for fuel. If you used just Propane, then that is the problem. You need to use Mapp gas or OA in order to get enough heat. I've used the HF rod to fix tears and holes in large aluminum irrigation pipes, and a small boat I'm reconditioning.
    Last edited by Goodhand; 11-09-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodhand View Post
    I'm not clear on what you used for fuel. If you used just Propane, then that is the problem. You need to use Mapp gas or OA in order to get enough heat. I've used the HF rod to fix tears and holes in large aluminum irrigation pipes, and a small boat I'm reconditioning.
    I did try oxygen acetylene gas but how long do i need to preheat the surrounding parts of the parent 6061t6 metal? The OA tanks are small and dont burn longer than 5 minutes. Any suggestions?
    Also, can this be done with a mig welder without any gases?

Quote Originally Posted by rusk1y View Post
    I did try oxygen acetylene gas but how long do i need to preheat the surrounding parts of the parent 6061t6 metal? The OA tanks are small and dont burn longer than 5 minutes. Any suggestions?
    Also, can this be done with a mig welder without any gases?
    Length of time to heat the parent metal depends on thickness of the metal and the temperature output of the heat source.

I've not heard of 5 minute OA tanks. Can you post a link to a source for these?

Nope. You need a cover gas of Argon to weld with aluminum mig wire.