Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Smoker

Hybrid View

Default BBQ Smoker

Hey guys, a buddy and I are building a smoker at work and we're going to raffle it away. The proceeds are going to benefit the March of Dimes campaign. THought I'd share some photos of the build.

Started with a piece of 24" x .250 wall pipe and marked and cut out the doors. Before finishing the cuts we welded on the hinges to make sure everything stayed in alignment.

While my partner fabbed up the smoke stacks from some 6" x .320 wall pipe (think they are gonna be heavy enough?)

I worked on fabbing a dampner for between the fire box and the smoke box:

There are 2 of them, one will serve at the plate covering one end of the 24", the other has a smaller diameter and fits inside the pipe. It will rotate on a handle to control the smoke from the fire box to the smoke box.

More on the next post.
    Last edited by nocheepgas; 02-05-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Default Smoker Cont...

Here's how the 2 plates connect to form an adjustable assembly. Some 1" 4130 rod and some DOM tubing allow for a rotating baffle.

Next we cut out some metal that we'll weld on the 2 lids. The handles will mount to these.

That's the progress so far. Next week we'll get our materials in to build the fire box (3/8" plate) and the trailer frame. As well as some 3/8" 304SS rod to build a cooking grate for the outside grill that goes on top of the fire box. Hopefully it will be completed by weeks end so we can media blast it, paint it and have it all ready to hit the road for ticket sales. Sorry, don't have a way to sell them over the web, But davedarragh, we'll have it on display at Aztec welding for a week, so stop by and buy some. Tickets will be $10.00 each or 3 for $25.00. 100% of the proceeds will go to the March of Dimes.
    Last edited by nocheepgas; 02-05-2010 at 05:53 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe

It's going to be a beauty.

Great project for a great cause.

Nice work, I can't wait to see the rest.

I have a spreadsheet calculator to figure the air opening sizes and fire box size to assure you have a rig that will draft proper. I can't find the link right now but if you would like to check it out I would be glad to post it online for download or e mail it.

It will also tell you based on fire and cook chamber size what dia and length will work best for stack size.

Please don't take it that I am saying you don't know what you are doing. Just that after building several pits I found the calculator and learned why some of my older pits just don't run quite right.

Again Great Work.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Quote Originally Posted by tom37 View Post
    Great project for a great cause.

I have a spreadsheet calculator to figure the air opening sizes and fire box size to assure you have a rig that will draft proper. I can't find the link right now but if you would like to check it out I would be glad to post it online for download or e mail it.

It will also tell you based on fire and cook chamber size what dia and length will work best for stack size.

Please don't take it that I am saying you don't know what you are doing. Just that after building several pits I found the calculator and learned why some of my older pits just don't run quite right.

Again Great Work.
    Heck yea, any information would help! We're building this on a whim w/o any plans or anything. FYI, our smoker box is 24" x 72", our planned fire box is 8 cubic feet, and our 2 stacks are 6" pipe. If you can tell me if we're at least in the ball park. I can still adjust the damper opening size if needed.
    Thanks
    Last edited by nocheepgas; 02-06-2010 at 04:14 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe

[QUOTE=tom37;224487]Great project for a great cause.

I'd be interested in that link. Always assumed there was some formula and not just luck in have a good drawing smoker and barbeque.
    Thanks, and your project looks great.

im thinknig of making one myself

Exclamation Gettin' Closer

Good News!

The Bar-B-Que is getting closer to completion and I've been given the OK to offer raffle tickets over the net. If anybody is interested, send me a PM.
    Tickets are $10.00 each or 3 for $25.00. Remember all proceeds go to the March of Dimes.
    If you're lucky enough to win it, it's FOB Sierra Vista, AZ. NO shipping, but I can hang on to it as long as you like

Finally got this beast mounted on the trailer.

Got the springs mounted today, but no pics of that progress. Which is why you can see a C-Clamp in the photo.

The rear grill portion is almost complete. Wish I had taken a picture of the grate I welded up (3/8" stainless) It came out very nice. The grates in the smoke box are done as well. Hopefully We'll get it to the painters by mid week.

Here's the grill area, lacking the handle...

Last edited by nocheepgas; 02-19-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe

those cust were so clean. Did you freehand them with your 375? Also, was the 24" pipe hard to find? What does something like that run?

Hats off to you and your partner. Its great to see folks do something like this for charity. Especially with all the hard work you have into it.

Looking great!

You're making me want to go out front and light a fire in my rig. Watchin a good build makes me want BBQ even more.

Thanks for the pics.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )