Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Finding breakers for home fuse boxes with ratings above 100Amps is difficult to do.

As I stated in other posts. 30Amp breaker on a my Dialarc is hit or miss. You make lots of trips to the fuse box because of the startup in-rush. Once you got things going your O.K. as long as you keep a short arc. In TIG mode, at full power, I would expect 30Amp draw from the Dialarc. On a 50 Amp breaker, I have zero problems with the dialarc (but as a stick machine I only use smaller sticks - 150Amps max)

Consider using the foot pedal to break the arc. I don't like leave hot leads lying around, so I use the foot pedal as my remote on/off switch. Just turn the HF off!

As for jumping a car on lamp cord, it can be done, but the cord will get so hot it will melt the insulation. If you have a battery that is only weak, not dead, you can get away with it. Recommend you separate the + and - if you try so that when it melts, it doesn't short the + and -. Back in the days of metal bumpers, you could touch bumpers and make 1/2 your connection that way....
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
    Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Quote Originally Posted by con_fuse9 View Post
    Finding breakers for home fuse boxes with ratings above 100Amps is difficult to do.

As I stated in other posts. 30Amp breaker on a my Dialarc is hit or miss. You make lots of trips to the fuse box because of the startup in-rush. Once you got things going your O.K. as long as you keep a short arc. In TIG mode, at full power, I would expect 30Amp draw from the Dialarc. On a 50 Amp breaker, I have zero problems with the dialarc (but as a stick machine I only use smaller sticks - 150Amps max)

Consider using the foot pedal to break the arc. I don't like leave hot leads lying around, so I use the foot pedal as my remote on/off switch. Just turn the HF off!

As for jumping a car on lamp cord, it can be done, but the cord will get so hot it will melt the insulation. If you have a battery that is only weak, not dead, you can get away with it. Recommend you separate the + and - if you try so that when it melts, it doesn't short the + and -. Back in the days of metal bumpers, you could touch bumpers and make 1/2 your connection that way....
    Home Depot, Lowes, Locke, Grainger Supply, or All American Breaker (California) have 100amp+ breakers for the major brands of breaker panels. If you have one of the old Federal-Pacific panels you may be out of luck.

Don't know what to tell you if you actually have a "home fuse box".

Griff
    Last edited by griff01; 02-12-2010 at 09:05 AM.