Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default My 2nd Try At Aluminum Your Thoughts ?

I am taking a TIG welding course at the University I am really enjoying it ! this is my 2nd try at aluminum it getting better but I have a long way to go.

The first attempt was scary.

Give it to me straight what should I be doing ?

The Instuctor is Great, He is very helpful.

I just wanted some more ideas of what I I need to do to improve.

I am trying diffrent setting to see how it changes things Freq & balance

These plates were done quickly no cooling They warped pretty badly.

3/32 Aluminum
    Dynasty 200DX
    105-120 Amps
    1/16 Pure Tungston
    3/32 Rod 4043
    Balance 65% en
    140HZ Freq
    Argon 15 CFH

Any tips on the set up for 3/32 Aluminum ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mountain Metal
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Coolmate 1
    Miller Trailblazer 302 W/ Kohler
    Miller Suitcase 12VS Wire feeder
    Weldcraft 26 TIG Torch
    Miller 210
    Spoolmate 3035
    Thermal Dynamics 51 Plasma
    Victor O/A
    Jet 7x12 L Cooled Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Dewalt Chop

Not bad for your second go at aluminum.

Consistency comes with practice. Aluminum likes to be run hot and fast.

Biggest thing I'd recommend is "lose the pure tungsten" on an inverter. The Dynasty 200 will perform better with Ceriated or 2% Lanthanated tungsten. Miller does not recommend the use of pure with the Dynasty's.

If you're using 3/32 filler, I'd recommend moving up to the 3/32 tungsten for AC welding. May also want to try increasing the balance to 75-80% if the material is clean. You want the etch zone (from the cleaning) to extend just past the puddle.

May also try dropping the HZ back to about 120 for the coupons you're running.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Not bad for your second go at aluminum.

Consistency comes with practice. Aluminum likes to be run hot and fast.

Biggest thing I'd recommend is "lose the pure tungsten" on an inverter. The Dynasty 200 will perform better with Ceriated or 2% Lanthanated tungsten. Miller does not recommend the use of pure with the Dynasty's.

If you're using 3/32 filler, I'd recommend moving up to the 3/32 tungsten for AC welding. May also want to try increasing the balance to 75-80% if the material is clean. You want the etch zone (from the cleaning) to extend just past the puddle.

May also try dropping the HZ back to about 120 for the coupons you're running.
    Well said. I couldn't agree more

May I also suggest you draw a line and follow that. Make sure your torch hand slides easily along that line. I find that what I think is a perfectly straight and parallel line under the hood is a meandering trail once everything is cooled down.

As for frequency. Somethings not right. Running higher frequency tends to get better penetration and ultimately narrower bead. I would think with beads that wide you would have had burn through. With higher frequency I find the sweet spot as far as power goes is tougher to maintain. Puddle goes from too small to burn through to easily. I find run 60Hz, or 80Hz much more forgiving (at least on the thin stuff). This is purely from my observation - and I'm no expert, just an experimenter - with a few small home projects under my belt.
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
    Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick