Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: adding pics

Default adding pics

I am having some trouble with porosity and want to add 2-3 pics to my thread but I keep exceeding the file size for a pic. All of my pics are coming out at about 1mb, and the file limit is 488.3 kb, what am I doing wrong? I already limited the the pic size in my camera to 4 x 6. I am using a sony cybershot 7.2 mega pixels camera if that matters.
    Thanks for the help.

Thumbs up There is NO MAGIC to it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

If you are using Windows XP, follow the link above to the Microsoft site. Looking in the center column, scroll down the page until you find the image resizer. Download the software (It's safe) Then, when you want to resize an image to upload, you can resize a single picture, a series of pictures, or a whole file by simply right clicking on the item. In the pop up menu you will see "image resizer" Select the 640 x 480 screen size, and the software will do the rest. A standard 480+MB file shrinks to around 45MB or so.... PERFECT for uploading.

Hope it helps.
    Later,
    Jason

Thumbs up Thanks

I had planned to post some pictures the other day but ran into the same problem, thanks for the link.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long

On this subject. If you have any photo editing software. Two things need to be considered.

A photo size is important. 640 X 480 pixel size opens up on most computer screens correctly. Larger sizes and you end up haveing to scroll back and forth and up and down to see the photo. You are probably taking the original photos in a much larger format - which is good if you intend to print say, an 8" X 10" glossy.

Second is compression. Once you have resized a photo to 640 X 480 you need to save the resized photo, in the jpeg, or jpg format. Almost all photo editing programs will give you a choice of how much compression to apply to the photo. You can pretty well fully compress (select zero or one) a photo and it will still appear clear and well detailed on a computer screen. So, resize the image to 640 X 480 pixels and apply full jpg compression. You should see the 1 MB files down to a 50 to 100 KB file. Make sure you compress AFTER you resize.

Adios-----

The biggest issue is resolution. Think of your photo as a matrix of dots -- like the old dot matrix printers we used to use before laser and inkjet. The more dots you have per inch, the bigger the file size will be.

A fairly decent digital (say, 3.0 megapixels) will produce a picture with 1200x1200 dots/in. resolution. That's great for editing and printing high quality photos on paper. For comparison, your average Xerox machine prints at 150x150 resolution.

For our purposes, i.e., screen display, the resolution only needs to be 72x72. You get a smaller file size without sacrificing too much screen display quality or image size. And the image size will still be the same size (640x480 pixels, 320x240, etc.). Once you reduce the resolution to 72, if your file size still isn't small enough, then you can reduce your image size.

Almost any photo editor will allow you to adjust either the resolution or image quality. Some allow you to adjust both:

For example:

In Photoshop, go to the Image menu, then Image Size. You'll see settings for the Width, Height AND resolution. If the resolution is greater than 72, reduce it to 72.

Personally, I like to use Image Grabber II because you can combine a series of pictures into one image.

This shows all the adjustments you can make with Image Grabber II:
    http://www.millerwelds.com/education...8&d=1187147630

This shows the final product:
    http://www.millerwelds.com/education...9&d=1187147640