Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Paint?

Default Paint?

In the process of working on my Jeep, prepping for paint. A few years back I had it blasted down to bare metal and shot it with some Varaprime, a self etching primer. Now that I'm to the point of really getting with it (finally!) I have lots of spots that have some light surface rust. Inside the tub, I'm just going to paint some POR 15 over the surface rust, it'll eventually be lined. However I'm not sure how to handle the rest of the body. Are the rust converters any good, will they effect the durability and finish of the top coat? I'm open to any recommendations, except for reblasting the body.
    Thanks,
    Richard
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Richard, there are some rust converters out there I hear good commits on picklex-20 just follow directions and DO NOT put anything like varaprine( anything with acid in it) over it. As far as the rest of the body if there is rust Its best to sand any areas down to get rid of it or spot blast if very bad and then clean and apply an epoxy for the best corrosion protection. Varaprime is a good etch but it needs to be top coated with 2K primer or instead of it just use epoxy and go from there with your body work. This site www.autobodystore.com is a great site for help on what your looking for. Good luck on your project. I hope this helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by lethal6 View Post
    Richard, there are some rust converters out there I hear good commits on picklex-20 just follow directions and DO NOT put anything like varaprine( anything with acid in it) over it. As far as the rest of the body if there is rust Its best to sand any areas down to get rid of it or spot blast if very bad and then clean and apply an epoxy for the best corrosion protection. Varaprime is a good etch but it needs to be top coated with 2K primer or instead of it just use epoxy and go from there with your body work. This site www.autobodystore.com is a great site for help on what your looking for. Good luck on your project. I hope this helps you.
    Thanks for the reply, Thought my thread was dead!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Not that this makes a big difference now but for future, after sand blasting give a quick run over with scotch brite, smooths and knocks hi spots down so it doesn't poke thru primers. Try it and feel the difference, gets a lot of stuck sand off too. If vari prime or epoxy primers have been on a long time scuff and re-prime, wet it again. A lot of guys worry about light surface rust, I personally don't usually, scuff and paint. That different than deeply pitted.

I use Corroseal when restoring old SA-200s, but have only panted over it with Nason brand paint. Have no idea if there would be a reaction with other brand paints.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.