Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Correct pattern for welding tubing?

Hey guys. Ive been struggling to get a good weld on tubing and have come here for help. I feel Im pretty proficient with straight welds such as welding box tubing or plate but when it comes to welding tube I end up with sub par results.

I tend to use a zig zag or crecent type pattern but when I do it on a tube or round joint it ends up horrible. Ive come to the conclusion that what works for straight joints isnt neccessarily good for a fishmouth or any type of round filet.

So my question is, What is a good pattern to use? Ive even considered just hitting the joint with a straight bead but when I do it tends to get a bit cattapillar like which Im not ok with either. Im want to be able to lay down a nice flat bead that is structurally sound, Ive got that down for the straight now I need it for tube.

HELP!!

What weld process? For MIG or STICK I use small circles. TIG, it's pretty much dip and go.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Using a Millermatic 180 with 75/25 gas.

I seems when I weave the weld is huge compared to a straight weld I can do. Ive tried to do a straight no weave pattern and the weld is more confined but it sits proud which I know is wrong.

For some reason I cant seem to get welding a tube down . I am self taught so I dont really have anyone to ask other than asking questions on forums or watching videos. I even watched Covells video and I didnt seem to gain anything.

I really hoping theres a resource for me to go after to figure out how to correctly weld tube.

OK so your using MIG. but you left out size of pipe and hard wire or flux?

if it's small pipe 2" and under it's all in your angle of the gun (15degree and pushing).
    let's say your doing a pipe rail on a bench T joint. just start at the top center and weld down hand left then right from the top.
    if it's a pipe over 2" then same for root and same for cover but with a weave (moving fast side to side)
    if it is going to be a structural weld then you should be sticking it anyway.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

i only had some pipe pic's that i sticked. if you need i'll weld some pipe with my 211.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

Quote Originally Posted by vin-man welding View Post
    i only had some pipe pic's that i sticked. if you need i'll weld some pipe with my 211.

I'd be interested in seeing < 2" MIG action
    Miller 350P
    Miller Econotig
    Milwaukee Dry saw
    Evolution Dry saw (for sale)
    Scotchman 350 cold saw
    7x12 bandsaw
    1910 ATW 14 x 72 lathe
    fridge full of adult beverages
    Sirius radio

www.snpequipment.com
    callouses and burns a plenty

Im welding 1 1/2-1 3/4" .125 mild steel DOM. Im using solid core .030 wire with 75/25 gas. This is for automotive apps such as trans crossmembers, engine mounts, bracing ect.

Stick welds arent legal for use.

Ill give a try pushing instead of dragging like I tend to do with flat stock. Heres a question regarding that, will pushing require any different settings as opposed to dragging? My thinking is that since Im moving into cool metal I may need to either slow down or up the voltage to keep the heat up.

Ive never really practiced with a push technique because my welds came out good with the opposite so I never tried. Guess Ill try it tomorrow.

You've been dragging? That's your problem right there. Also not a good technique for gas shielding coverage either.

I havent experienced any issues with my straight welds dragging the gun. I know what a weld looks like when it is exposed to air and they arent even close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by CalRewireMatt View Post
    I havent experienced any issues with my straight welds dragging the gun. I know what a weld looks like when it is exposed to air and they arent even close to that.
    Before you dismiss the advice of pushing the gun in this application and continue with your old technique, bear this in mind: Insanity is when you repeat the same thing over and over expecting different results.

You are experiencing issues with dragging the gun on tubing. Sheet is more forgiving.

You're not going to see porosity and lack of root fusion because it's going to be under all that pretty MIG weld bead.That's the downfall of MIG. Anyone can make great looking welds, even if they are not sound.

The gun needs to be tilted in the direction of travel so the shielding gas can get down in the gap between tubes and cover the root before your heat gets there. It doesn't do as much good if the shielding gas gets there after it's molten. It also directs the heat of your arc toward the root instead of the weld pool.

The greater the drag angle, the more convex the bead. The greater the push angle, the more concave the bead. At a push angle of about 15 degrees is where you get flat welds.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal