Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Studs

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    why.......?
    My guess is the welded stud would be more prone to cracking due to the HAZ under load than a press fit.Mike

why.......?
    Surely you do not need that explained.

Griff

Actually I do. Does anyone even know what the OP is doing with the wheel studs. If they were talking about replacing studs on a car or trailer part I would agree welding would not be the way.
    That certaintly is NOT the worst advice I've seen on this forum.
    Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

It's going thru 1/4" x 4" flat bar, not much for the knurl part to hold on to maybe 2 tacks wouldn't be a bad idea. It wouldn't hurt anything that's for sure

why.......?
    On many cars the wheel is centered by the the studs. If you allow the studs to float around you will loose that. Not sure what tolerances matter, but lets just say most hubs are machined to better than .001. .001 is the kind of runout a good set of brake rotors (which sit on top of the hub) have when bolted to the hubs.

The bolts are heat treated. You want to mess with that?

Anyway:

From this page: http://www.arp-bolts.com/FAQ/Answers.html

"To determine what drill size you need for your wheel studs, you will need to know your axle/hub material and the wheel stud knurl diameter. If your axle/hub material is cast iron/steel your drill size will be .005˝ less than the knurl diameter. If your axle/hub material is aluminum, your drill size will be .007˝ less that the knurl diameter. The Wheel Studs Section in the catalog shows the knurl diameter sizes."
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
    Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Quote Originally Posted by m.k.swelding View Post
    do it the easy way and drill it a size bigger then weld it in place
    thats what welders do!!!!........they like to weld.

Quote Originally Posted by con_fuse9 View Post
    On many cars the wheel is centered by the the studs. If you allow the studs to float around you will loose that. Not sure what tolerances matter, but lets just say most hubs are machined to better than .001. .001 is the kind of runout a good set of brake rotors (which sit on top of the hub) have when bolted to the hubs.

The bolts are heat treated. You want to mess with that?

Anyway:

From this page: http://www.arp-bolts.com/FAQ/Answers.html

"To determine what drill size you need for your wheel studs, you will need to know your axle/hub material and the wheel stud knurl diameter. If your axle/hub material is cast iron/steel your drill size will be .005˝ less than the knurl diameter. If your axle/hub material is aluminum, your drill size will be .007˝ less that the knurl diameter. The Wheel Studs Section in the catalog shows the knurl diameter sizes."
    If you read the OP's original post he is using wheel studs but they are NOT being used as wheel studs.

That's my point.........But what is he making??
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Default Are you making a spare tire carrier?

I had a spare tire carrier on a travel trailer and the studs were pushed through a hole and welded onto the 1/8" plate. It was made by a trailer parts place in Indianna.

So in a way they are being used as wheel studs, sorta'. I put a spare tire carrier on my trailer, I tacked the studs (2) on the backside in 2 or 3 places. I used mag wheel locks because the tire is just hanging out there saying "take me". They could still take it but.....at least I'm making an attempt to keep them honest.