Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    "The welding area is composed of three 12 inch wide, 1/4 inch thick steel plate"

A long way from being over engineered for a table that will hold a 600# on the top
    Yeah that has changed. If you follow the thread it has moved to 3/4 inch plate.

I will be posting a new CAD image soon.

Quote Originally Posted by kraythe View Post
    Alas I am only a hobbyist but you have my eternal thanks, not that it means much.

Yes it does--Your Welcome

I have integrated a lot of things you said and I am working on a CAD program that fuses the ideas.I upsized to 3/4 inch plate but slimmed them to 6 inches wide and overhang is now 3 inches. I also am seriously considering the angle iron approach. Although it would be thick to weld half inch steel angle iron, I am pretty sure I could manage it with my torch or pull out my old stick welder. The benefit is that all of the welds are easier of course.

With 1/2" stick it and crank up da heat!_ shop the used metal section before building things--I did

Right now I am thinking about whether I need a center reinforcing beam underneath the top panels. The quandry is that 3/4 of an inch is stong stuff but 2k# is nothing to laugh at.

Depends on the span - see the over kill comment

By the way your work on the tool chest with the drawers is awesome. You do them yourself? I had thought of that on the welding table. Have a shelf near the bottom and on top of that a couple slide out drawers for tips, filler rods, electrodes, grinder wheels and so on. I suppose I could get a box pan bender from harbor freight fairly cheaply.

Boxes came from Homer when they sold the good roller bearing pro series. I Pulled the drawers, slid cabinets into place bolted them to the bench and to each other.. I can open every drawer and it does not fall over

Oh one more question, you used WD40 to get that finish? That is incredible! it looks beautiful. How did you manage to do that?

I used wire wheels, flap discs with metal polishing compound to polish the metal with, the WD-40 is the furniture polish that I use to keep it shiny
    BTW my holes are 7/8" diameter that is the way it came..do look at the selvage yard you might find a pre-built base that you could put a top on ..you might save yourself some time and money..
    Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Looking at CNC Plasmas

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

Yeah that has changed. If you follow the thread it has moved to 3/4 inch plate.

I will be posting a new CAD image soon.
    No CAD image needed.

Legs
    Casters
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Broc,

Don't forget this guy is a "Senior Software Engineer".

Already got all the answers. Only welding he's doing is "in his mind" and on the computer keyboard.

He thinks an acorn table top is expensive. Wait til he prices out that 3/4" plate with all those holes drilled/tapped by his "metal supplier".

One of these days he may actually try to weld something and figure out it's not quite as easy as drawing pictures on a computer.

Remember, this is the same guy who told us all to go pound sand when we told him it wasn't a good idea for him to be redoing his 33' travel trailer. That we didn't have the good old American "get er done" attitude. Dingbat.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Broc,

Don't forget this guy is a "Senior Software Engineer".

Already got all the answers. Only welding he's doing is "in his mind" and on the computer keyboard.

He thinks an acorn table top is expensive. Wait til he prices out that 3/4" plate with all those holes drilled/tapped by his "metal supplier".

One of these days he may actually try to weld something and figure out it's not quite as easy as drawing pictures on a computer.

Remember, this is the same guy who told us all to go pound sand when we told him it wasn't a good idea for him to be redoing his 33' travel trailer. That we didn't have the good old American "get er done" attitude. Dingbat.
    Wow, you really know how to hate huh? Just a little thing sitting in his house hating anyone he deems inferior to himself. No you don't make me angry. I feel sorry for you actually. I think it is sad. I just envision you as a creepy guy, embittered by life to such a degree that the only way you gain pleasure is to try hurting others. Its really sad. I hope you find something to brighten your life soon.

Oh and by the way I have priced it already. About 60 bucks for the plate, with 50 bucks an hour for any specialty cuts or drilling. Figure about 100 bucks for each of those plates, about $1000 if I couldn't find any salvage and bought it all new. Still a far cry from a 10k acorn platen table setup. If you really want to come off as an elitist, it might help to learn some basic math. However, I must admit to one inaccuracy. I can afford an ACORN table, I merely wish to build something of my own. I am sure your finely honed hate skills cant comprehend that.

Oh and I would be curious to know what exactly me being a senior software engineer has to do with anything in your reply. Are we perhaps a little snippy here? I didnt say I was a god, I am an accomplished computer programmer. Others accomplish other things in their fields and that is awesome. Unlike you, I dont hate.

You have no power to hurt me dude. You simply amuse me. If you keep replying I will just play with you like a cat with a ball of yarn so long as it amuses me to do so. Right now I am smiling and laughing when I type this.

The height of your arrogance is to assume I should give a **** what some idiot on the other side of the internet thinks of me. The height of humor in this is how obsessed you are with your futile attempts to injure me.

Keep it up. Its still amusing.
    Last edited by kraythe; 02-05-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    No CAD image needed.

Legs
    Casters
    I like to plan before I do things. Probably an artifact of being a programmer. We plan a lot. Besides, it will give me a chance to get together a good cutlist to pass off to the supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pass-N-Gas View Post
    BTW my holes are 7/8" diameter that is the way it came..do look at the selvage yard you might find a pre-built base that you could put a top on ..you might save yourself some time and money..
    I dont know where you are located at but I have been having trouble finding much other than automotive salvage yards in the area. But then denver isnt a huge steel or metal work capital. There are 4 or 5 metal suppliers in the area that have decent prices. If I cant fidn salvage, I will go with one of them. Out of curiosity, where would you look for such a salvage yard. Hours of calling numbers in the phone book has yielded little. Lots of auto salvage areas but hardly anything else.

Default "Cat & Mouse?"

If you keep replying I will just play with you like a cat with a ball of yarn so long as it amuses me to do so.
    I doubt that Sundown would even waste anymore time with you. I promise you he's got more arc and fab hours than you can count, even on your computer.

You should really get out more, maybe visit Northrop-Grumman Shipyards in Newport News, or NASSCO in San Diego and see the fruits of real design and labor.

Have you considered which process to use, or are you going to make another week-long soap opera out of that?

Geez, could've had it built by now..........

Good luck, and PLEASE keep us posted of your progress. Any more questions, feel free to ask.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    I doubt that Sundown would even waste anymore time with you. I promise you he's got more arc and fab hours than you can count, even on your computer.

You should really get out more, maybe visit Northrop-Grumman Shipyards in Newport News, or NASSCO in San Diego and see the fruits of real design and labor.

Have you considered which process to use, or are you going to make another week-long soap opera out of that?

Geez, could've had it built by now..........

Good luck, and PLEASE keep us posted of your progress. Any more questions, feel free to ask.
    Very well put, Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Charlie

Well apparently he has wasted time up til now. As for his "hours" fabing and arcing, I have no doubt of that. It doesn't make him any less of a jerk. He is just a hateful person that happens to be knowledgeable about welding. Again you seem to think that makes him a god or you a godlet for worshiping the likes of him. I find that all very amusing.

As for the could have had it built, probably but then I have a full time job and we have two major software releases coming out next week and are putting in 60 hours of work per week so its a bit hectic. On top of that I have had to put the finishing touches on my third book soon to be published so life has been a little crazy, limiting shop time. Besides, I like to plan and learn. unlike you and your deity, I don't assume I know it all.

As for the process, probably use stick on the heavy stuff and my victor torch on the rest of it though I haven't quite gotten the trick of a fillet weld on a torch. *shrug* Just need to have free time to practice. I am in no hurry. I do this just to have fun.

You see you and your deity have no power to upset me. Its very liberating not giving a **** what some jerk on the other side of the internet thinks. I have long past any stage of being able to be affected by the likes of you or your deity.

So why don't we get back to talking about welding and stop all of this bickering crap? No? Well it was worth a try. I for my part going forward will simply completely ignore anything posted by either of you. Have a nice life! (EDIT: Vbulletin's ignore feature ROCKS)
    Last edited by Admin; 02-05-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Toned it down