Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Why the plate with all of the holes? Whats the purpose of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre32 View Post
    Why the plate with all of the holes? Whats the purpose of that?
    The holes ar half inch diameter and through the plate. The goal of those is to allow the user to slip through heavy duty bolts to rig up Jigs to hold various pieces while being welded to control warping. Its similar to a platten table but much cheaper solution.

What you're describing is getting close to the Stronghand Buildpro table. Not saying you should buy one, but maybe you can get a few more ideas from it:

http://www.vansantent.com/welding_ac...ding_table.htm

One thing I saw is they sell the top panels separately. I wonder what they cost, but expect it's too much $ to make sense rolling your own table using their panels.

Default "Platen Tables"

Quote Originally Posted by kraythe View Post
    The holes ar half inch diameter and through the plate. The goal of those is to allow the user to slip through heavy duty bolts to rig up Jigs to hold various pieces while being welded to control warping. Its similar to a platten table but much cheaper solution.
    Kraythe: Visit www.acorniron.com and look at thier heavy duty platen tables and stands. I think that's what you're looking for.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Kraythe: Visit www.acorniron.com and look at thier heavy duty platen tables and stands. I think that's what you're looking for.

Dave
    1) I dont have that much money
    2) What is the fun in buying that instead of buildign your own?

Drilling all those holes is about as much fun as doubling the load carrying capacity of a 33' travel trailer.

At least this "Heavy Duty Welding Table" won't kill someone when it fails due to lack of welding skill/knowledge of fabrication.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

I never understood all the hubbub about Acorn tables. I worked on one for a few weeks once. Oh the hold down rods are nice at times, but dropping things through the holes gets old too!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

A motor is about 600 pounds you would have to put the entire car on the table to reach the 2000 pound mark.

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Drilling all those holes is about as much fun as doubling the load carrying capacity of a 33' travel trailer.

At least this "Heavy Duty Welding Table" won't kill someone when it fails due to lack of welding skill/knowledge of fabrication.
    I have the metal supplier tap the holes. Much easier that way.

As for your other comment, I had planned to put it in an upstairs floor above a kindergarten with only 1x2s for floor framing and rice paper for a surface. So you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    A motor is about 600 pounds you would have to put the entire car on the table to reach the 2000 pound mark.
    Depends on the motor. But I want the table overengineered. I suppose it would have been more accurate to describe the desired deflection at load but naming it at x capacity works.

Quote Originally Posted by kraythe View Post
    But I want the table overengineered.
    "The welding area is composed of three 12 inch wide, 1/4 inch thick steel plate"

A long way from being over engineered for a table that will hold a 600# on the top
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus