Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Snowplow mount on mid 90's Jeep Cherokee

Hello,

I could use some advice from anyone here who has dealt with snowplow mounts in the past. I have a possible job doing modifications to a snowplow mount to fit on an older Jeep Cherokee.

The mount came off a Chevy Blazer, and had been modified to fit the Blazer, the welds and custom mount brackets were not a pretty sight, sorry I don't have any pictures but it was hacked to say the least.

I have not done a job like this before and have a few questions before I sign up for more than I can handle. I climbed under the Jeep and too some measurements, the mount as it sits is close to fitting, but is about 1" skinnier than the frame rails measuring center to center on both.

The frame rails are a formed C channel, I was thinking with the new mount I would bolt through the bottom of the frame rails to tie it together, I'm not sure if this is a fair idea or not, is there a reason to bolt it through the sides of the frame rails?

I would really appreciate any pictures people have of these mounts so I can draw from them and see how this should be done right.

This plow will only be used in the owners driveway, and will not be on the road, but I would still be interested to hear of any legalities that have to be worked around when you make, or modify your own mount.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Erik
    Miller Shopmaster 300 CC/CV AC/DC
    S22A Wirefeed
    HF251D1 High Frequency Box
    Coolmate 3
    Miller Spectrum 625 Xtreme

Lincoln Idealarc 250 DC CC/CV
    LN-7 Wirefeed

I have always used a piece of angle to bolt to the frame rail. Make it so the legs of the angle go under & up the outside of the frame rail then bolt through the side. Weld the plow frame parts to the angle as needed. Having said that it all depends on how the truck frame is & what's in the way. Sometimes you just have to make it as you go. Without seeing pics that about as best as I can describe. This kind of job people always think it should take an hour, so prepare your customer for a decent bill.
    As for legality, everything you do can get you sued.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by Zebu Fellenz View Post
    Hello,

I could use some advice from anyone here who has dealt with snowplow mounts in the past. I have a possible job doing modifications to a snowplow mount to fit on an older Jeep Cherokee.

The mount came off a Chevy Blazer, and had been modified to fit the Blazer, the welds and custom mount brackets were not a pretty sight, sorry I don't have any pictures but it was hacked to say the least.

I have not done a job like this before and have a few questions before I sign up for more than I can handle. I climbed under the Jeep and too some measurements, the mount as it sits is close to fitting, but is about 1" skinnier than the frame rails measuring center to center on both.

The frame rails are a formed C channel, I was thinking with the new mount I would bolt through the bottom of the frame rails to tie it together, I'm not sure if this is a fair idea or not, is there a reason to bolt it through the sides of the frame rails?

I would really appreciate any pictures people have of these mounts so I can draw from them and see how this should be done right.

This plow will only be used in the owners driveway, and will not be on the road, but I would still be interested to hear of any legalities that have to be worked around when you make, or modify your own mount.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Erik

I just got done doing a similar job - I'll post pics tomorrow (don't have the pics handy right now)

It is a job I generally steer clear of, everyone seems to ge the idea that since it came off a blue truck it should fit most blue trucks. Different frame widths make it all a real challenge in a lot of cases.

Well I have a few updates.

It looks like this Jeep is older than I remember. It looks like Jeep moved to a unibody construction for the Cherokee in the mid 90's, and this Jeep appears to be body on frame construction so that would place it as a late 80's SUV.

I appreciate the responses so far, looking at how other plow mounts are done it looks like angle bolted through the sides of the rail will be the best way to do this.

The customer is willing to pay what the job will cost, he doesn't expect this to be done in an hour, and right now we're looking at about $300 to do the modifications, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something major before I give him a quote.

Thanks again,

Erik
    Miller Shopmaster 300 CC/CV AC/DC
    S22A Wirefeed
    HF251D1 High Frequency Box
    Coolmate 3
    Miller Spectrum 625 Xtreme

Lincoln Idealarc 250 DC CC/CV
    LN-7 Wirefeed

Smile Materials?

Who's responsible for materials? I know your in a different zip code, but 300 sounds a bit light. Don't forget drill bits, bolts, hardware, etc. I always add a couple of bucks (10%) for welding incidentals like grinding wheels and wire or rod or gas if your using it. 300 here would get you about 2 hours of labor time. Dont' give it away.
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Also just in case you were not aware, sometimes when people that have no business mounting a snow plow or anything else to a vehicle, forget, or deliberately do not put in the plow to fram braces that prevent the plow carriage from riding up. I have encountered this several times.........scary.

what kind of plow is it. I have made push plates for fishers plows befor.

You wont believe the amount of interference issues that never occur at first glance until you do one of these. I copy a Western for mine but eliminate all the adjustments and make it one piece welded.
    BTW, I sent a couple jobs away recently, one wanted removal of mount and equipment and put on some junk jeep, I told him that the truck he was wanting to install to wasn't worth the effort, another I sent off to get factory mount. I was broke when I did mine so the couple afternoons saved 400 and I got better job so the value was there. My Bud works at another shop where a customer just insist, "how hard could it be" from 150 to 250, wasn't impressed with a 1200$ or more bill. They didn't want to do it in first place. I have done a couple that were simple but most are more difficult than imagined.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is what I came up with for an old blade to a '02 Silverado 2500HD. They tried to buy a mount for it but they were not available. The First picture is of the Main Mount that bolts underneath the truck where the skid plate was originally attached. The second picture shows the main mount installed with a plate attached (unpainted in the picture) that has another framework welded to that attaches to the pump mount assembly (picture 3). Picture 4 shows the frame mounts that everything is welded/bolted to. The tubing is notched to fit around a pipe that goes thru the frame. This keeps it from moving up or down in the frame rails (it is also cross bolted). Picture 5 is the mount installed with the pump mount....
    Attached Images Attached Images