Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question Finding the correct angle

Im trying to build a set of ramps for a heavy duty truck to drive on. Im using 4" X 4" X 1/4 square tubing. the length is 12' and the height is 2' 6" with a 4' deck on top for the rear axles. I need to find the formula to achieve the correct angle for the incline. thank you in advance for any help.

4'
    ███████████

2' 6" █

████████████████████████████████████████████
    12'

Is this what you’re after?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    Is this what you’re after?
    You forgot to subtract his 4' deck from the 12' overall length.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie_486 View Post
    You forgot to subtract his 4' deck from the 12' overall length.
    I was a little confused on exactly what he was trying to do! And the drawing wasn’t real clear, to me anyway.

http://www.analyzemath.com/Geometry_...alculator.html
    Caution!

Default Ramps

Thanks for all the replies. Im trying to save to got to welding school so I can eventually answer my own questions. The ramps have to have a 4' deck for the rear axles. Purpose being that the heavy duty truck is a industrial vacuum truck that has to offload into a 25 yard roll off container.
    Last edited by XLMFAB; 01-23-2010 at 08:43 AM.

I find this construction calculator to come in handy for thing like this.
    Put in the rise and the run it calculates angle and the length of the unknown.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ion+calculator

Rick C

Quote Originally Posted by XLMFAB View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Im trying to save to got to welding school so I can eventually answer my own questions. The ramps have to have a 4' deck for the rear axles. Purpose being that the heavy duty truck is a industrial vacuum truck that has to offload into a 25 yard roll off container.
    Is this what you’re trying to do? How are you going to brace that ramp? Then how are you going to move them, with the square tube weighing in at 12.21 pounds per foot?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Caution!

Quote Originally Posted by XLMFAB View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Im trying to save to got to welding school so I can eventually answer my own questions.
    I think you'll be disappointed if you go into a welding program expecting to master geometry and trigonometry.

As for remembering mnemonics for solving certain triangles... forget about words. Just learn the simplest trigonometric figure. The unit circle.

The radius is 1, so the hypotenuse is always 1. Makes things easy. Note that the point on the circle has an X coordinate equal to the cosine of the angle. It has a Y coordinate equal to the sine of the angle. And the slope of the hypotenuse is analogous to the tangent of the angle... which is rise over run (everybody knows slope is rise over run - even roofers). And rise over run happens to be Y/X.

The more you learn about trigonometry and higher math, the more you realize this circle is the ultimate cheat sheet. It tells you the formulas to everything.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

We made a set one time but we made it with 16''x 16'' hardwood saw logs.
    Just an idea

Delta=17 21'14"
    or the arctan of 2.5 / 8
    was my guess because it looked like the top was 4'
    otherwise it's the arctan of 2.5 / 12 = 11 46'06"
    Last edited by UH60LCHIEF; 01-22-2010 at 01:11 PM.
    DYNASTY 200SD
    COOLMATE 1
    MM140AS
    SPOOLMATE 100
    SPECTRUM 625 X-TREME
    SPECTRUM 125C