Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by STRENGTH AND POWER View Post
    or dig a pit to make the log splitter ground level. then your not lifting anything
    Now that’s a great idea!

I would think someone with a handle like “Strength and Power” wouldn’t even think of an easy way, well at least for a few more years!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

I've split plenty of wood with both kinds of splitters and like the verticle beam the best, So I would take Sonoras advise on that one. If you never plan on splitting big logs than the horizontal would be ok.

Dont use an I beam, use an H- Beam, A 8" at 21lb. beam would be a good size beam that will hold up.

Here is a vertical type w/a log raising sys., cyl goes down lift raises, do need someone to roll the log on to the lift. I do not remember were I copied these pics from but looks pretty cool to me, course I have no need for a spliter down here.
    Good luck
    L*S
    Attached Images Attached Images

Leons2003 I too have seen those pictures before. But forgot all about it.
    Would sure like to see a picture of the underside, wonder how much bracing is in that bed?

I think if I built a lift system like that I’d use a capstan. That way you could free fall, or at least let the lifting frame down very fast. Would help speed up the cycle time.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

I have a splitter that mounts to the three point of any tractor. Runs off the tractor hydraulic pump. The beauty is that if the piece is too heavy, I just lower the three point to bring the splitter to the ground, roll on the heavy log, raise it up and split it. Has a plank attached to each side of the ram so have a working table and a receiving table for the piece on the other side of the split head. Can split up to 28" length with the ram length.

The splitter is 40 years old, made from a 4" square, 1/4" thick tube.

If interested, I could go take a picture and post it.

Leefy

Dynasty 350 - My New Baby
    Millermatic 210 Mig with Spoolmate 3035
    Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC Stick Welder
    Miller Specturm 625 Plasma Cutter
    Speedglas 9100 auto dark helmet
    Jackson auto dark helmet
    18.5 CFM Eagle Compressor
    Oxy/Act
    Horizontal Band Saw
    Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
    7 1/2 Dewalt Angle Grinder
    4 - 4 1/2" Sears Angle Grinders
    1 - 4" Makita Angle Grinder
    2 - IR Die Grinders
    All of which my wife says will be a "he$$ of a garage sale"

We used to run on that was on a tractor 3 point also. You only had to lift the logs the height of the I-Beam. The problem with that one was that it required two operators. One moving the wood, and another on the tractor operating the hydraulic controls. We now use a verticle splitter. It's about the same trouble moving the logs. The nice thing about the horizontal on the ground was the split logs and little pieces of trash fell away very easily. With the vertical you have to clean out the trash every so often. The other nice thing about the tractor mounted one was you just raise the 3 point, move it where ever you needed, and drop it down. Move the tractor.. not the logs. The verticle one is on a trailer, but you have to unpin the beam and repin it in the horizontal position to move it.

I would never use a horizontal splitter that was up in the air. Way too much lifting.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Evolution Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" South Bend
    AEAD-200LE

Got a skid steer?

My dad has a wood fired boiler that heats his house, (it can handle pretty big pieces of wood). I made him a log splitter that is a skid loader attachment. Runs off the aux. hydro. you just drive up to the piece of wood, set the splitter on top of it and push a buttom. Beats rolling around 3'X 18'' logs
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    Now that’s a great idea!

I would think someone with a handle like “Strength and Power” wouldn’t even think of an easy way, well at least for a few more years!
    In powerlifting, it is all about moving maximum weight efficiently. I also move safes and vaults. you learn quickly to come up with ways to do things with minimal effort
    Miller 350P
    Miller Econotig
    Milwaukee Dry saw
    Evolution Dry saw (for sale)
    Scotchman 350 cold saw
    7x12 bandsaw
    1910 ATW 14 x 72 lathe
    fridge full of adult beverages
    Sirius radio

www.snpequipment.com
    callouses and burns a plenty

Here are photos of a neighbor's splitter that I reconditioned a few years ago. Hope they provide some ideas for anyone wanting to build. 8hp B&S engine. I've spit many cords with it... rolling logs onto the base sure beats lifting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Goodhand; 02-15-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodhand View Post
    Here are photos of a neighbor's splitter that I reconditioned a few years ago. Hope they provide some ideas for anyone wanting to build. 8hp B&S engine. I've spit many cords with it... rolling logs onto the base sure beats lifting.
    What size is the I-Beam and do you know what tonnage the cylinder is rated at?
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..