Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Sizing an I-Beam

They say that "He who cuts his own firewood heats himself not once but twice".
    I think by time I get this split and stacked it will be at least 3 times!

No one around has a log splitter, so I figure I'll have to make one. I figured out I want to use a 30 ton cylinder x 24" stroke a 28 GPM pump and a suitable engine. I was originally thinking of a 13 horse Honda, but for $1,300 I think I'll try to pick up a 4 cylinder car engine from the wrecking yard. It'll have more than enough power and cost half as much. Anyway I need to size an I-Beam for this behemoth and lack the intellectual know-how of you more knowledgable people out there. So chime in with any recomendations!
    Thanks in advance.
    Richard
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

First suggestion, make it where it will stand up, so you can roll the wood underneath the ram / wedge. Gets old fast picking up the heavy sections if the beam is horizontal!

Sure you need a hydraulic splitter for that stuff? A splitting maul would work on that small stuff!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post

Sure you need a hydraulic splitter for that stuff? A splitting maul would work on that small stuff!
    This is Mesquite wood, at my age combined with the hardness of Mesquite I'd be lucky to split 5 pieces!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Back in my previous life I cut, spilt and burned about 8 cords a year. I found if I didn’t have to split it, it took longer to burn, of course it all depends on the size of your wood stove / fire place.

This outfit generally has good prices on hydraulic parts; have to look around for what you’ll need.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...c&keyword=HP2S
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

the two stage pumps work very well. good speed and power with smaller engine
    big blue 302d
    ranger 8
    mm180
    Ln-25
    hyperthem 1000
    hf-251

Our 26 ton splitter has a 1/2" thick 6''x6'' beam if that helps any.

Smile split time

Don't even think of a vertical beam splitter! You'll break your back from bending over. If a piece or two is too heavy to lift, make a ramp and roll it up. If you've got a 220 volt plug nearby - make it an electric splitter. They're quiet, reliable and nobody will borrow it. A five horse electric motor with a two-stage pump will split that pile in an afternoon. Have fun and stay warm.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jerems View Post
    Don't even think of a vertical beam splitter! You'll break your back from bending over. If a piece or two is too heavy to lift, make a ramp and roll it up. If you've got a 220 volt plug nearby - make it an electric splitter. They're quiet, reliable and nobody will borrow it. A five horse electric motor with a two-stage pump will split that pile in an afternoon. Have fun and stay warm.
    Wouldn't you have to bend over to pick up the piece to place it into an horizontal splitter?

Griff

I say get a 1/2 ton hoist/jib crane from HF and place it on the end. Then you can use the lift to pick up all the large pieces and not have to lift a thing. But then I have a shot back and always think of the easy way out.

or dig a pit to make the log splitter ground level. then your not lifting anything
    Miller 350P
    Miller Econotig
    Milwaukee Dry saw
    Evolution Dry saw (for sale)
    Scotchman 350 cold saw
    7x12 bandsaw
    1910 ATW 14 x 72 lathe
    fridge full of adult beverages
    Sirius radio

www.snpequipment.com
    callouses and burns a plenty