Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default miller 211 extension cord

I've read the manual and it says that on my 211 i can run up to a 27 foot 14 gauge extension cord for 110v. my question is that if i upgrade to a 10 gauge cord could i run a longer cord and if so how long? thank you all in advance. rhine.
    Last edited by rhineb; 01-19-2010 at 11:05 AM.

You could go way out, 200 ft or more depending on incoming voltage. Run it at 100 ft with 12.

Default Wire Size Calculators

Quote Originally Posted by rhineb View Post
    I've read the manual and it says that on my 211 i can run up to a 27 foot 14 gauge extension cord for 110v. my question is that if i upgrade to a 10 gauge cord could i run a longer cord and if so how long? thank you all in advance. rhine.
    There are NEC (National Electric Code) wire size calculators that should be used to figure this, available on line. I just did a calculation of 20 input amps/120 volts, and # 10 was figured at 50 feet. (Maximum 72')

Always follow NEC recommendations to prevent overload.
    Last edited by davedarragh; 01-19-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

It also depends when and how. In the shop I run it with a 10 gauge 5 foot long on 220V, but I have done a job at my parents house and ran it off a 14 gauge 50 foot extension cord, I didn't have a 27 foot one laying around, and it worked fine but I was welding light, small and had a low setting. Had it been heavier stuff I probably would have moved everything and plugged direct. So it kind of depends what your welding and how. Like it was said before, look it up and see, never hurts to be informed.
    "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

Thank you so much for the quick reply, I think i'll go with the 50ft 10guage wire run to my cart. I'm somewhat new to welding so i'm sure i'll be back soon. Rhine

Smile welding extension cords?

I have a related question about extension cables for 240.
    Many of the cables available on the net seem to be suggested for MIG and Plasma use and for "some TIG welders".
    My local supplier has STW 3/8 AWG 600V VW-1 cables and I am not sure if this will work with my Dynasty 200DX.
    I also have a 375 extreme Plasma and a MM 180 which I could use it for but is it safe to use for the TIGGER?
    The cord available is a 25ft ext,,,will that effect operation?
    Thanks

another thing you need to think of when figuring voltage drop is what gauge wire and how long it is in the wall from the main panel to the outlet. i have been in buildings that when a 10 amp battery charger is plugged directly into the outlet the voltage drops to 80 volts .

Quote Originally Posted by mulugod View Post
    I have a related question about extension cables for 240.
    Many of the cables available on the net seem to be suggested for MIG and Plasma use and for "some TIG welders".
    My local supplier has STW 3/8 AWG 600V VW-1 cables and I am not sure if this will work with my Dynasty 200DX.
    I also have a 375 extreme Plasma and a MM 180 which I could use it for but is it safe to use for the TIGGER?
    The cord available is a 25ft ext,,,will that effect operation?
    Thanks
    It will work with your Dynasty. Not exactly sure why some suppliers state "some Tig Welders". I can guess but anyhoo..

The cord will work with any Tig welder that has an Amperage draw within the capacity of the cord.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus