Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I suspect you are correct. I think I read where Mobil changed their base stock because of some loop hole that was opened when some consumer laws were changed that allow a "Synthetic Blend" to be called synthetic. I guess the word blend has to appear somewhere on the container. I wonder how many people get home and realize that "the bargain" they just got on synthetic oil is actually just a blend. I am curious as to how much synthetic has to be in it to call it a blend.
    I've read elsewhere that semi-syns are usually 80dino/20syn

Go with Amsoil, If you need help finding it I can order. I am a dealer
    Miller 225 -Rip Miller 302 -Miller 135 Mig
    Lincoln 200 Mig 1990 SA 200
    Hypertherm 600 Plasma - Plasma Cam Cutting Table
    Makita Cold Saw And a John Deere 4030 for my right hand man. JL Welding tx.com

I agree with you JL. I have Amsoil in everything. Car, truck, bike, lawn tractor, Kubota ATV and Chainsaw. Even use it in my gas radio controlled helicopter. lol

Fab Tech

Default Mobil1 is 100% synthetic

http://http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-E...s/Mobil_1.aspx

Mobil does make synthetic blend oils but the Mobil1 line is fully synthetic 100%
    Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 03-16-2010 at 07:48 PM.
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

I suspect that Lincoln is being cautious with their oil recommendations, especially regarding break-in.

Most manufacturers caution against using synthetics during the break-in period. Internal parts need to wear in or seat. Often times, this doesn't happen when the engine is started off on synthetics.

After the break-in period, I think it's been proven that the synthetics have their advantages.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Default Synthetic vs Conventional Oil

The major difference between Synthetics and "regular" oil is in the molecular structure. Conventional oils, refined and distilled from crude, have an uneven molecular structure, and have limits regarding hi and low temps.

Due to this "uneven" molecular structure, conventional oils are best suited during the "break in" of engines. Minor irregularities in castings and machining promulgate the use of conventional lubricants "filling the gaps."

In extremely low temps, conventional oils form sludge, and at high temps, the chemistry of the oil can break down into sulphurs, waxes, and promoting pollutants.

Synthetic oil, on the other hand, has a near perfect molecular structure, as it's produced chemically. These oils have been tested to -62F with no change in viscosity. Oil temps have been monitored as high as 400F without breakdown in chemistry.

The major drawback, is the price of synthetics. It can be a trade off of "insurance" for prolonging the life of an engine, once "broken in."

Those of us who are old enough to remember "Lithium Grease," have seen the extremely hazardous material, "Lithium Hydroxide Monohydrate" virtually disapear from the industry.

The largest stockpile of this material was once stored at DOE's High Assay Uranium Enrichment Plant, near Portsmouth, Ohio. Once used as a catalyst in weapons grade Uranium, was all sold to grease (Nat'l Grease, Kansas City) and battery manufacturers (Union Carbide) in the mid 70's, about the time Mobil was perfecting synthetic oils.

It was a very caustic material and an extremely high respiratory irritant.
    Last edited by davedarragh; 03-18-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

I have always used RedLine in my bikes & Quads but when I am not using syn oil I use rotella...I still have 11 hr's b4 my first oil change on my 302..What are you guys using for filters?

Quote Originally Posted by Corbinworks View Post
    I have always used RedLine in my bikes & Quads but when I am not using syn oil I use rotella...I still have 11 hr's b4 my first oil change on my 302..What are you guys using for filters?
    Mine has 1500 hrs. on it with nothing but Mobil one after break in. I use Wix filters the # is 51394. Just thought to add mine has the Subaru engine on it. Might not be the right # for Kohler.
    Last edited by shortarc; 08-04-2011 at 04:55 PM.
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

Quote Originally Posted by shortarc View Post
    Might not be the right # for Kohler.
    yeah thats the motor mine has..