Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workbench

Nice work.

Unless you are welding directly to the table top, no fire hazard. If you ground clamp is getting hot enough to be a fire hazard, fix the ground clamp/lead.

I welded on a plywood table top for a while before I built my 1/2 inch thick welding table. I had a few burns, but that's about it.

Now, tell us more about the front bend and how you did it
    Millermatic 35
    Miller TB302G
    Ellis 1800
    Smith & Victor Torches
    Optrel Satellite
    Arcair K4000
    Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
    Home Made Welding Trailer

Smile Ground?

From the looks of the heat ring around your ground (work) stud, something isn't making good contact. Perhaps you should hard wire this connection?!
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Default ground

I tig welded a bolt to the table to make my ground clamp connection. There is no resistance there. The heat you see is from that process

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodjohn View Post
    I like that idea. Do you think I should use 1/2" or 1/4" is enough? I welded the front seam with a mig. I just clamped it and welded it in short sections to keep from warping. I also tacked it on the backside then ground the tack weld off on the back so I could get t tight to the bench. I havent wleded much directly on the bench much I have been raising my work off the bench. I agrre about the fire hazard,wish I had thought about the cement tile backer
    John,
    I know that some members feel it is a fire hazard and some do not. Why take a chance? Hardibacker is cheap and it would be easy to install. Then you would never worry and you would not have to be concerned about elevating your work. I would think that 1/4" would be just fine. That is one sharp bench.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    John,
    I know that some members feel it is a fire hazard and some do not. Why take a chance? Hardibacker is cheap and it would be easy to install. Then you would never worry and you would not have to be concerned about elevating your work. I would think that 1/4" would be just fine. That is one sharp bench.
    Nick
    I will get the tile backer tommorow