Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sounds like improper hook-up to me.

I agree, if it does turn out to be a problem with the machine and not with the hook-up. Miller will fix it. If it's the hook-up, you might be 'on your own'...
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

It could just as easily be a faulty component, don't jump to conclusions. I was in his shoes with a VFD recently, the manufacture tried to claim faulty hookup but still sent me a refund, I purchased a replacement hooked it up exactly like the bad unit which smoked up like this welder and have been rewarded with no problems what so ever. Regardless before I hooked up the new unit I made absolutely sure there were no problems with the power, amps, voltage, ect. In the vfd it was a bad MOV "metal oxide varesistor" a surge suppressor.

Good luck, you should be fine if you in fact did not fry the thing yourself if so you will be sure you don't next time.

Verify your input wiring, if it's wrong correct it. Without explaining what happened to it, have it repaired at your local Miller service depot. I assure you they won't care much as to what caused the problem. Most of them never tend to discover the route cause as Miller only allows so much time to find & R/R the damaged component.

Default burned dynasty

Just wondering how many amp service the plug was?

Quote Originally Posted by metalbender View Post
    Just wondering how many amp service the plug was?
    I don't think this matter much as the voltage.
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Thermal Arc 400 MST
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Default burned dynasty

I put the 50 amp plug on my dynasty to match the wall socket. My 220 v compressor only uses a 20 amp plug.

Smile

I have seen some "electricians" use the white (neutral) as one of the two hots in 220 circuitry. Especially if there was only 3 wires (black, white and green), And then substitute the green into the connection.

Although...

Miller checks these machines before they ship them. I would look at the supply power.
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

How can one let the smoke out of these machines by improper hookup? With the auto link feature I think this would make any failure associated with improper hookup a very rare event. In a residential setting, the machine is either going to see 110v or 220. That's about it right?

Curious to know.

I expected responses beating me down for this post. I didn't join the site prior to purchasing the machine because I was on the fence between lincoln and miller. I apologize Sundownerlll for the mis post of the invertec being a 200 as it is actually a 205. The post was not bashing miller as I did buy the dynasty over the invertec and I don't regret that decision. The dynasty received a lot of praise as well as miller's customer support. I have a dc tig running off the outlet that was used, if the outlet was wired wrong by the electrician I believe I would have fried that machine also. I double checked the wiring configuration twice before plugging in the unit. I have an electrician coming in to check my connection but from what I told him he didn't see any reason to come by. I have him coming by anyway. Oh and I am not a chinese company trying to chase people away from miller. Attack me as you may I could care less. I just thought I would post my bad luck and get involved with the board is that okay with those that bashed.

Never mind the basher's , they can't help themselves[must not be getting any at home]. I'd do as cruizer suggested in his second reply. Play dumb it gets alot of folks a long way.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st