Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Brand new dynasty 200 dx up in smoke

I am newly registered to this site, but had checked it out when trying to decide which tig to buy. I decided on a dynasty 200 dx over the lincoln invertec 200. I received my new welder on thursday and with a long weekend figured I would start getting used to the new machine. I got everything set up double checked everything plugged it in and nothing happened. After about 20 seconds smoke started slowly rolling out of the case and I heard a loud pop, turned off the machine killed the breaker and unplugged it. So much for using over the weekend.

I'm sorry to hear that. I guess you'll find out how good Miller's service is.
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Thermal Arc 400 MST
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

That is one reason why I bought the Miller, but I didn't expect it to go down as soon as it was plugged in. I will get to use it eventually. Then the fun will begin.

Angry

I also would be smoking if that happened to me
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by onefishnfool View Post
    I am newly registered to this site, but had checked it out when trying to decide which tig to buy. I decided on a dynasty 200 dx over the lincoln invertec 200. I received my new welder on thursday and with a long weekend figured I would start getting used to the new machine. I got everything set up double checked everything plugged it in and nothing happened. After about 20 seconds smoke started slowly rolling out of the case and I heard a loud pop, turned off the machine killed the breaker and unplugged it. So much for using over the weekend.

SO.......How did you wire it? Or did you do the plug installation?
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

That is such a bummer.

When you get it up and running you are going to really enjoy it.
    Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
    22A Feeder
    MM175
    Dynasty 200DX
    TB302
    12vs Extreme
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
    20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
    16" x 60" engine lathe
    65 Ton edwards iron worker
    3/16' x 24" power slip roll
    16' power feed mitering bandsaw
    and other fun toys

I used a plug, into an outlet that was installed for my compressor by a master electrician and verified that all wire colors coordinated between the outlet and the plug going onto the welder. I took the plug off of my other tig, that worked fine in that outlet and was wired the same way. The compressor has been on that circuit for 3 years with out issue.
    Last edited by onefishnfool; 01-16-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Default up in smoke

Where did you buy the welder from? I just got mine Monday, according to most posts, this model is the top of the line, serious welder. To have one for home and hobby type stuff is pretty cool. I hope your supplier will just exchange it for a new one without sending for repairs. Fred

Yep that was unfortunate, the womping noise was the input Mod blowing up.

Before going further, I'd really suggest rechecking your input power, and power to the welder.

Electrician or not. Even they make numerous mistakes when hooking up Welders if they are un familiar with them. I get numerous calls from customers with new machines that either smoke, or don't work just after some "Electrician" has just wired them up.

I have to agree with Cruizer on this one. I'm much more inclined to suspect improper installation than a faulty machine. Not saying it can't happen, but it would be extremely rare.

Did the machine show any signs of damage in shipment?

If you received the machine on Thursday and "hooked it up", what was the response from your retailer on Friday? What did Miller Tech Support have to say?

I'm not saying this couldn't happen, just that the whole post by onefishnfool seems a little "fishy" to me.

He states that he "researched the machine" on this board prior to purchasing. Really. Why didn't he join at that time? Is he implying he got all his questions answered by using the "search" feature and didn't need to ask ANY questions?

Just seems a little strange to me that his first "course of action" would be to post on a board where he wasn't even a member. My first call would have been to the retailer and the second to Miller.

I'm definitely not saying that it's the case here, but I wouldn't put it past some of the "Chinese Importers" to post such a story so that they can say, "Well, it happens to Miller too. Check out this posting".

Hopefully, we'll get the whole story as time goes on. I'm sure, if there was a problem with the machine, Miller will make it right.

Edit. Is the Invertec 200 by Lincoln a new machine? I'm aware of an Invertec 205 but never heard of a 200. How much real research was done? Just another tidbit to make me question this post.
    Last edited by SundownIII; 01-17-2010 at 12:40 PM.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands