Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Cool flux core wire question

I was shopping for some flux core wire for my 120v mig welder, Just wondering if the cheeper (harbor freight, northern tool) brands of flux wire have the same strength properties as the hobart wire, thanks for your comments.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Just weld it!!! Miller big 40 diesel, Miller bluestar 180k,Maxus Pro-140 mig, Gas powered air compressor, and alot of tools the lady dont need to know about. all portable for on site work,15 year Structural welder,Ironworker, Millwright.

I would go for the Hobart personally. I don't trust things like that from Harbor Freight.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

The cheep stuff is probably made from ground up sardine cans...
    "If you build it, they will come!"

I like Lincoln, Hobart, and even the Radnor brand that AirGas sells.

I've only used the cheaper, generic stuff a couple times.
    The strength of it is probably comparable- but it sure splatters and throws stuff around more.
    It might be my imagination, but I think it took more of it for the same welds as 'good stuff'.

Cheap welding wire is like cheap 'anything else'.
    It'll work, but is not as pleasant to use or as user friendly as the good stuff.
    "Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.

I can't answer from direct experience because I've never bought cheap flux core. However, my 'real' job as an engineer involves working with suppliers of soldering fluxes and I can tell you that there's a world of difference in quality between the good suppliers and the cheap ones. A lot of high tech chemistry goes into making good fluxes. I suspect the same is true of welding wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I like Lincoln, Hobart, and even the Radnor brand that AirGas sells.

I've only used the cheaper, generic stuff a couple times.
    The strength of it is probably comparable- but it sure splatters and throws stuff around more.
    It might be my imagination, but I think it took more of it for the same welds as 'good stuff'.

Cheap welding wire is like cheap 'anything else'.
    It'll work, but is not as pleasant to use or as user friendly as the good stuff.
    Thanks Ed! Cheap does not pay...
    "If you build it, they will come!"

i run HF hard wire in my 211 and it's welds great. (OK so it's probably the 211) but if your only welding with a 110V machine i find that the HF wires work good with the smaller machines. the only thing that i found with the cheap wires is that there size is a little off.(the wire is probably the reject wire from Hobart) tractor supply sells Hobart wire and I'm not impressed with it.
    but for doing my welding that matters i use 21b from my WS at $120+ a role.

so it really comes down to what your welding. and spending $20 or $120
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

I use Lincolns NR-211 that can be found at home depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

NR 211 also comes in one pound spools from home depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...talogId=10053;)

The solid wire I've bought from HF is Italian-made and works just fine. That said, I've never used their flux core. But don't count it out just because it's Harbor Freight. Some of their suppliers make good stuff, some bad.