Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default anyone modify the Miller 300425 Cart/running gear?

Recently i got the MM211 that came with the "cart/running gear". Unfortunately this is the cheaper, basic-level cart rather than the better larger one. Has anyone modified one of these to give it a handle to pull it around, or any other mod that would let it be useful? I currently use an old Sears red steel cart that i got about 20 years ago. it holds my Lincoln Weld-pak 100 in the top tray, and my bottle bungie corded in the bottom shelf, along with my old stick welder and helmet, gloves, clamps, vicegrips, extra rods, supplies, etc... At least my old one i can pull around by the cart.

The cheapo Miller that i want to modify is this one:

I was just looking if anyone had any ideas for a handle, etc... (The machine is not bolted to the cart, so you can't pull it around by the handle on the machine)
    Last edited by Joe from N.Y.; 01-12-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Build your own, put a personal touch to it

Fab Tech

Cool

Just make a tall U shaped handle and bolt it on. You can make it from like 1/4"x1" flat or small round bar with a tab welded on to bolt it thru the tube frame. Lots of DIY stuff you can do with the right tools...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

It's funny how all the miller running gears have the same cheap plastic rear wheels.

I would say you've got some nice starting points. From experience - it's a pain to work without a cart - so you've got a cart in the mean time to work with.

I would at least bolt a bar across the middle that you can hang your leads on. Add a handle - go wild.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

Yep, I welded up a little frame from 1" square tube so I would have a place to put my little plasma cutter on the same cart. That frame also works well for as a handle for moving the cart around. Here's a couple of pics. One of them before I put in the brace from side to side and upgraded the wheels. I would have gone to larger wheels but these still allow enough clearance to get the cart into the prefered storage space when not in use.
    MIllerLincoln.jpg

MillerWeldingCart2a.jpg

NewWheels.jpg
    Larry

"I feel for the man who can only spell a word one way"......Mark Twain

Lincoln AC225-S (OLD/Copper Wound)
    Lincoln Weldpac 100
    Miller Matic 180 (auto set)
    Miller Spool gun 100
    Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme
    Victor Super Range II

I have the same cart. I wanted to add a handle and lead hangers, so I used 1" x 1/8" angle iron. The 45 degree is 30" off the floor and then goes back 8". I used 1/4" black pipe, but you can use 1/2" rod for the handle across. Round is easier on your hands. This is well-balanced and makes it much easier to move. I don't know why Miller doesn't add a handle. The lead hangers are 1" tube 3.5" out with 1" x 1/8" flat 3".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    I have the same cart. I wanted to add a handle and lead hangers, so I used 1" x 1/8" angle iron. The 45 degree is 30" off the floor and then goes back 8". I used 1/4" black pipe, but you can use 1/2" rod for the handle across. Round is easier on your hands. This is well-balanced and makes it much easier to move. I don't know why Miller doesn't add a handle. The lead hangers are 1" tube 3.5" out with 1" x 1/8" flat 3".

Thanks man, this is exactly what i was looking for. Nice work...