Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question How Much is a AEAD 200 LE worth?

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a unit that doesn't work. It is a total "?" because the owner is not mechanically or electrically inclined. How much is the unit worth? What would it be worth if I got it to work? And what should I look for that will tell me the unit is toast? Here is the ad: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/1543761322.html. Your advice, and opinion is greatly values, and appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by cityfrontsailor; 01-12-2010 at 01:55 AM.

I think you need to define "Doesn't Work". Does the engine not run? Does it run and not weld? If it runs and doesn't weld, does the generator work? I'm guessing that that machine is at least 20-25 years old, and if it doesn't work it's worth whatever a scrap dealer will give you for it?
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

I am not sure what the deal is. The seller is not very mechanically inclined and could not fix it himself. Lets say best case the motor will not run. (I will update later as more info comes in) I am planning on looking at the unit this Thursday 1/14/10. What should I look for if I can't get the motor started? What is a reasonable offer for not knowing what the issue is? I am looking to fix the motor and resell it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cityfrontsailor View Post
    I am not sure what the deal is. The seller is not very mechanically inclined and could not fix it himself. Lets say best case the motor will not run. (I will update later as more info comes in) I am planning on looking at the unit this Thursday 1/14/10. What should I look for if I can't get the motor started? What is a reasonable offer for not knowing what the issue is? I am looking to fix the motor and resell it. Thanks.
    For what they want for it, you're wasting your time. That machine has a ceiling of about $1200 used AS IS & if you run into anything more than a simple fix, by the time you funnel your labor & whatever parts into it you have to, you'll at best come out of it breaking even.

Offer $100-150 MAX (that's if the engine runs) & walk if he doesn't take it. The engine is worth a little more than that, so at least it wouldn't be a total loss. It would be different if you knew exactly what was wrong & had the parts on hand to repair it.

IMHO, of course.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

I believe it probably has an Onan gas engine, parts are available for it. As far as the rest of it, it's a crap shoot as to what could be wrong.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Default Onan parts can add up quick

Even on a 15 year-old Onan the parts get to be expensive, partly due to company changes. If the machine is 25 years old you could have a very hard time finding new valves or seals. If you can find them, you will pay heavy mark-up.

7A749 is on the spot at $100 or so. Mid 70's model with a Onan CCKA engine. Since it does not run you have no way of knowing if it has any problems on the welder side. Parts for the Onan are easily available from any Cummins/Onan dealer. Rings, pistons, valves, seals, bearing's etc. Onan stopped making new engines, they never stopped manufacturing replacement parts. The parts are not cheap but that's mainly due to the fact they are still made right here in the good ol US of A!

TJ
    Miller Legend
    Miller XMT 200
    Miller HF 251D
    Miller AEAD 200LE
    Miller Spoolmatic 30A
    MillerTrailBlazer 250G

Quote Originally Posted by onanparts View Post
    7A749 is on the spot at $100 or so. Mid 70's model with a Onan CCKA engine. Since it does not run you have no way of knowing if it has any problems on the welder side. Parts for the Onan are easily available from any Cummins/Onan dealer. Rings, pistons, valves, seals, bearing's etc. Onan stopped making new engines, they never stopped manufacturing replacement parts. The parts are not cheap but that's mainly due to the fact they are still made right here in the good ol US of A!

TJ
    TJ!

Nice to see you here.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Default Aead 200 le

I have an old AEAD 200 LE and was offered $1500 for it, BUT it is in great shape and not used much. It's biggest issues are it sat unused for 10 years or so and had what appeared to be numerous problems. Well, a carburator cleaning and filing the points got is started and it runs good. One cylinder smokes a little but it does not burn any oil , so obviously not too bad of rings. The only thing that did not work was the battery charger. The voltage regulator was bad and I picked up an old auto voltage regulator from auto zone and it now charges with 14.5 volt output and controls battery at 12.8 volts. My thinking is these are tough old machines and if you can make it work, it will be a good machine, but as far as value-- I would guess that $1250-$1500 is the VERY tops you could get IF it was in 100% working order and solid engine. JUST MY THOUGHTS and that may be too high to expect with all the used welders on the market today that are newer

Question Welder's Widow needs info

Late husband has AEADS-200LE that looks and runs like new. There's also a MIG and a TIG as he was a welder. Need to know value of this very nice 200LE. By the way, my husband died of COPD. He had metal in his lungs. Food for thought since he was only 58. Widowed at 47, sigh. Always were proper gear!